1/48 Kittyhawk F-35C Lightning II

AeroNutTom

my first Kittyhawk kit and to be completely honest it will be my last for a very long time. I am no expert by any means and I struggled extremely hard with this kit. the decals (nearly everything besides the ones that said "no step" ripped on some part, the canopy didn't fit properly, the bomb bay doors didn't fit properly, the vertical stabilizers didn't fit properly, the two halve fuselages didn't fit properly. it was just one nightmare after another. I also dont think the paint scheme is right but it was what was told in the instructions (and I typically like to go off those without deviation i'm an out of the box kind of builder).

I would not recommend a Kittyhawk kit to anyone nor will I be buying one in the future. Extremely disappointed in the quality of the build for how much it cost. I hope kittyhawk can work on a better product. Just my two cents.

post-2786-0-43561800-1423052130_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-63311600-1423052132_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-13559500-1423052134_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-58328200-1423052135_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-64668500-1423052136_thumb.jpg

Tom:

Really surprised because I had no trouble with the A version. Maybe a bad shot. I did leave my canopy open so I didn't bother with the fit.

My review is here:

http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/f-35b-lightning-ii

IPMS reviewed the others too so can search for them in the review section

Dave

Hi Dave!

I actually read these when i started to get frustrated with this kit back in December. They were insightful (as usual) But for some reason I kept coming across problem after problem with this kit. I have all 3 kits and i've noticed the B (The link you posted) is constructed differently. For the C the body is 2 pieces and on the B it's 4 pieces (using memory right now as i'm at work :D ) and if the body fit near the exhaust it didn't fit at the canopy and vice versa. Then the panels that are placed near the intakes also didn't fit properly so i needed a lot of putty to fix that. the only thing i didn't have issues with were the wings, they were a little off like your review says. but again putty worked for me. I'm not a fan of the way the horizontal stabilizers and vertical stabilizers are like puzzle pieces (never been a fan of that kind of construction). So i had issues with those. the bomb bay and gear doors didn't fit properly some of them hang off instead of being glued properly. the decals which for some reason I was given two sheets, had issues all over. some of the decals were bleeding badly and then the ones i could use like i said ripped apart when trying to place them on there. After that put the vertical stabilizers on and they didn't fit properly and I could have gone back and worked on them but just said screw it because I was just about done with the kit and made it fit as best as it could. The canopy was a "yup i'm just done" and i glued it and said. TA DA!

I've heard a lot of bad reviews of this kit from forums and talking with other people. Maybe I did get a bad shot but I was just really disappointed in how this turned out. I really high hopes for this kit because I'm a big jet fan, I hope the A and B are better. I'll probably tackle the simpler A before I go to the B. But regardless I pushed through and finished it chalking it up to a model lesson. Was able to improve my putty skills and sanding techniques. So not a complete loss...

ON TO THE NEXT ONE!

Tom

Edited by AeroNutTom

Can't really tell your problems from the result ya got Tom! I wouldn't give up on KH quite yet if I were you. They remind me at this juncture of where Eduard was with their earliest releases and look where Eduard is now. I really like most of the subjects KH has been releasing, and if they continue to fill the gaps in our 1/48 collections, I'll be buying extra putty and giving them my business!

Congrats on a fine example of perseverance!

GIL :smiley16:

Tom,

You certainly deserve a reward for your perseverance, well done. I agree with Gil, don't give up on KH yet, in fact it would be interesting for you to do another to compare how they do a completley different type of kit, maybe the two seat Cougar?

G