PzIII Ausf J "Early"

BryanKrueger

Ever since I built a PzIII ausf L for the Reviewer Corps, I've been wanting to build another one. I picked a kit up from the LHS clearance bin last year and am using this as my inspiration.

pzIIIausfJ.jpg

I was fortunate enough to have a second image of this exact vehicle pointed out to me.

pzIIIausfJ-front.jpg

I've gotten a little further than this but these are the last set of photos that I took. So far I have used used Fruil tracks and Aber PE.

pzIIIj_02.jpg

pzIIIj_01.jpg

I have most of the plastic assembled except for the turret. I'm waiting for parts. So in the mean time, I started working on the tool clamps. 9 are from the Aber PzIII set and a stray one is from the Alliance Model Works set.

toolclasps.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got far enough along to take some decent photos. Still need to assemble the main gun and MGs plus finish up the rear deck. I opted for sheet metal stowage box. The photo is too blurry to tell but I have seen ausf Fs wih similar fender mounted metal boxes.

pzIIIj_01.jpg

pzIIIj_02.jpg

pzIIIj_03.jpg

pzIIIj_04.jpg

pzIIIj_05.jpg

• 1 month later...

Beautiful! Right on track, looks really good the modulation and the highlights. :army7:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting closer to the photos. I will never be exact. I found it far too stifling and my brush strokes were rigid trying to replicate the thing exactly. The frosty finish is created with the HS technique. I sprayed two layers of HS and lightly mottled very thin dirty white paint and then gently worked at it with a damp brush.

pz3_06.jpg

pz3_02.jpg

pz3_01.jpg

pz3_05.jpg

pz3_04.jpg

Edited by BryanKrueger
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like the attention to detail here. The pushed-down mesh on the engine intakes and missing fire extinguisher are nice touches. Well done, Brian!

Is the tow cable metal or nylon. Nice effect, it looks real.

dt

• 1 month later...