Academy 1/72 Fw-190d-9

Keith Pruitt

Did this one as a quick OOB therapy...forgot how bad Academy decals can be...but I was also using it as a testbed for a new airbrush, playing around with freehanding the camo and mottling...

Fw-190D_005.jpg

Fw-190D_006.jpg

Fw-190D_007.jpg

Fw-190D_008.jpg

As always, comments and criticisms are welcome...

Thanks, David and Gil!

David, the new airbrush is a Peak C-5 (got it from BearAir.com last month)...it seems to be a great detail airbrush, and the funny thing is Iwata parts and hoses seem to fit this one, too....hmmmmmmmm. For now, let's just say "the capabilities of this instrument exceeds the skills of the user".

I haven't built the Tamiya or Hasegawa kits of this aircraft. The Academy kit is fairly good...cockpit detail is so-so (pretty much what might be expected in this scale), except for the headrest mounts on the inside of the canopy which are downright ugly (you can see what I mean in the last pic)...the surface detail seems good, with only Mr. Surfacer used on the seams...and the finished model appears to be accurate. The decals were the worst part...soaked them in hot water for 2-3 minutes before they would release from the paper, and then they were stiff and unresponsive to setting solutions. I wound up applying them using Future as the adhesive. There is still some silvering with some of them...don't know if it shows up in the pics.

Thanks for looking!