Macross Mecha

GHonanie

Here is a mecha that I did for the Modelzona 08 contest. A good break away from the norm. IMAI kit 1/200 scale stands about 3" high, Tamiya Dk yellow and Pnzr Green. water color for chips, oils for wash.MacrossTomahawk004.jpgMacrossTomahawk005.jpgMacrossTomahawk006.jpgMacrossTomahawk007.jpgMacrossTomahawk008.jpg

Really nice, Gilbert! At least with a figure like this, the color police can't gig you with 50 demerits for using the wrong FS-Green on it. Way to go! I've got some of these kits in 1/100 scale, and you make me want to put my current sci-fi project back in the box and start one.

Ed

Thanks guys...... since this kit comes with two in the box I did the other one in german WW II ambush scheme. Nice that any paint job can apply here. :smiley20:

Nice Warhammer.

Still looking for 72nd scale version of this (and a couple others) to finish my Heavy Lance. Right now I just have the old Revell kit of the Battlemaster. Want to add a Tomahawk and Marauder. Someone said the 1/100 kit of the Marauder was closer to 72nd scale based on the Battle Tech universe. Wonder about the other 2.

• 2 weeks later...

The old IMAI Glaug (what you call Marauder) was last issued more than ten years ago by Bandai. Dunno if they or Aoshima still have the molds. The model shown here is the Nichimo kit, of which Testors also had imported back around the middle Eighties. Doyusha re-issued the Dougram series in 1/48th a few years ago and I bought some of those, which I hope to build someday. Kaiyodo's Revoltech action figures of the Dougram (ShadowHawk) and Soltic H8 Roundfacer (Griffin) are close to 1/72 if you want either of those in your Lance.

*Gets very old Galactic Trade Commission catalog*

The 1/72nd scale Tomahawk and Glaug kits were made by ARII, which has since become Micro-Ace. Some of their molds have moved on to Platz but that company hasn't done any sci-fi stuff from the ARII catalog yet. Takara was the initial maker of the Dougram kits that Revell imported (your Battlemaster, ex-"Ziyon", ex-"Bigfoot"). They also had 1/72nd versions of ShadowHawk, Wolverine, Griffin, Thunderbolt, Goliath and two other mechs that were not given Battletech names. The Takara kits have sometimes been re-issued but I haven't seen much of the 1/72nd ones beyond those Revell had.

It's odd that Hasegawa hasn't done any 1/72nd Destroids to go with all their Valkyries in that scale, but there might be a rights problem for all we know. They have the "Reactive Armor" version of the VF-0S if you want a Crusader, tho'.

Hmm. HLJ still has some Bandai Q-Rau's from last year. Be glad FASA didn't port THESE into Battletech!

http://mechatalk.net/viewtopic.php?t=10763

The above will tell you lots about the subject, plus there is a link to a site with all the Mech names and their original Japanese identities.

Neat stuff Stephen.

Here is a link to several interesting links.

http://www.heavymetalpro.com/links_new.htm

I like the one with the decals but they appear to be for the wargame figures. Would love some of these in 72nd.

Anyone know a site that lists the Mech classes by height and the different scale kits by height?

I don't remember, but I did run across a site one time when I googled the name "tomahawk" or something like that and found a website that showed a list of both "robotech/macross" and "battletech" and listed who made what and the different scales each kit came. haven't found that website yet. Ebay seems to be the place to go for a lot of these now OOP kits, a little spendy sometimes. But thanks for all your comments and I'll post pics of my "marauder/glaug" when it gets done.

A long time ago there were two magazines, Protoculture Addicts and Mecha-Press, which I used to write articles for. I did a review on Korean knock-off versions of Japanese kits. Back in the early Nineties these were easier to get than the originals. Of course, they were also cruder and tougher to build.

4bc352f245aaa5cf24bbdd5e207af0f8a7a10ab.gif

Hope this chart is readable to you. It's cropped from a bigger one that goes to thousands of tons. (Yes, there ARE Japanese fantasy robots that get that big!)

GLOSSARY

* GARLAND: The transforming motorcycle from Megazone 2-3/Robotech The Movie

* SCOPEDOG: The central robot from the Armored Trooper VOTOMS series

* AESTIVALIS: The central robot from Martian Successor Nadesico

* ATAC: The transforming hovertank from Superdimensional Cavalry Southern Cross/Robotech Masters

* CALIBUR: The transforming Jeep/Hummer from Armored Soldier Dorvack

* ESCAFLOWNE: The central robot from Vision of Escaflowne

* DUNBINE: The central robot from Aura Battler Dunbine

* PATLABOR: The Alphonse and Type-Zero from Mobile Police Patlabor

* DESTROIDS: The four Destroids (Tomahawk, Spartan, Defender and Phalanx) from Superdimensional Fortress Macross/Robotech The Macross Saga

* RX-7: The student/soldier robot from Aim For the Top! Gunbuster

* ALPHA: The Alpha Fighter from Genesis Climber Mospeada/Robotech The New Generation

* ORGUSS: The central robot from Superdimensional Century Orguss/Robotech Changers

* LZ-00: The Layzner robot from SPT Layzner

* DOUGRAM: The central robot from Fangs of the Sun: Dougram/Robotech Defenders

* VF: Variable Fighter/Valkyrie, as seen in Macross, Macross II, Macross 7, Macross Plus, and so on

* GF13-017NJ: The Shining Gundam from Mobile Fighter G-Gundam

* XXXG-01W: The Wing Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

* VIFAM: The central robot from Round Vernian Vifam

* REGULT: The Zentraedi soldier pod from Macross

* N'GER: The Zentraedi male power armor from Macross

* Q'RAU: The Zentraedi/Meltlandi female power armor from Macross

* GLAUG: The Zentraedi officer's pod from Macross

* RX-78, NT1, GP01FB, GP02A: Versions of the Gundam from Mobile Suit Gundam/0080/0083

* L-GAIM: The central robot from Heavy Metal L-Gaim

* ARKADYNE: The central robot from the Tim Eldred comic book Cybersuit Arkadyne

* DRAGONAR: The central robot from Metal Armor Dragonar

* MSZ-006, MSZ-010, RX-93, F91: The Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, Nu Gundam and Gundam Formula 91 from the shows Zeta Gundam, Double Zeta Gundam, Gundam: Char's Counterattack and Gundam F91 respectively

Ok, but question is are the Mechs different sizes in different series?

Is the Gluag in Macross the same size as the Marauder in Battletech? Like I said before, a guy built a 1/100 scale kit that worked out to about 72nd scale in the Battletech universe? Reason I ask is that you can find the 1/100 scale kits a lot cheaper than the 72nd scale versions.

Hi, Stephen,

Without knowing zip about the lore of Japanese Mech battle suits, 25 years ago I purchased some of the Ceji-Revell issues of these machines. It started with my purchase of two 1/100 Robotech Factory kits, each of which included two mechs (one in olive drab and the other in pale blue) that were not otherwise identified (the sprue trees were only marked in Japanese). The box says everything was molded by IMAI in 1984.

With a vague idea of making a BIG diorama with both factory kits, I purchased four 1/100 Robotech Changers kits, again released by Ceji-Revell. They are the VF-1A Fighter, VF-1D Guardian, VF-1J Fighter, and VF-1S Battloid. These were all molded by Arii in 1985. All of this probably has significance that is otherwise lost on me.

Capping off Ceji-Revell, I bought a couple copies of the 1/72 Robotech Defenders Robot Recovery Unit. I built one as a spaceport service vehicle for my 1/72 C57-D flying saucer. I called it a Fusion Core Recovery Unit.

Finally, I found the 1/100 Aoshima Clear Mech Diranoth, which I thought might also work into the factory diorama somehow.

Was I amazingly correct in that these kits would never be reissued? Or did I acquire unpopular kits that nobody would want today?

Ed

Ok, but question is are the Mechs different sizes in different series?

Is the Gluag in Macross the same size as the Marauder in Battletech? Like I said before, a guy built a 1/100 scale kit that worked out to about 72nd scale in the Battletech universe? Reason I ask is that you can find the 1/100 scale kits a lot cheaper than the 72nd scale versions.

You probably can get away with it. I doubt the 1/100 versions would have opening canopies and cockpit detail like on the bigger 1/72nd scale ones. In fact, I remember an old FASA piece of cover art that had a Mechwarrior femme posed atop her Marauder and she looked much smaller than the Zentraedi pilot of a Glaug would have been!

Hi, Stephen,

Without knowing zip about the lore of Japanese Mech battle suits, 25 years ago I purchased some of the Ceji-Revell issues of these machines. It started with my purchase of two 1/100 Robotech Factory kits, each of which included two mechs (one in olive drab and the other in pale blue) that were not otherwise identified (the sprue trees were only marked in Japanese). The box says everything was molded by IMAI in 1984.

With a vague idea of making a BIG diorama with both factory kits, I purchased four 1/100 Robotech Changers kits, again released by Ceji-Revell. They are the VF-1A Fighter, VF-1D Guardian, VF-1J Fighter, and VF-1S Battloid. These were all molded by Arii in 1985. All of this probably has significance that is otherwise lost on me.

Capping off Ceji-Revell, I bought a couple copies of the 1/72 Robotech Defenders Robot Recovery Unit. I built one as a spaceport service vehicle for my 1/72 C57-D flying saucer. I called it a Fusion Core Recovery Unit.

Finally, I found the 1/100 Aoshima Clear Mech Diranoth, which I thought might also work into the factory diorama somehow.

Was I amazingly correct in that these kits would never be reissued? Or did I acquire unpopular kits that nobody would want today?

Yes and no. The Macross/Robotech models continue to be popular and draw high prices on eBay when they appear. The two robots with the Robotech Factory are a Tomahawk (Battletech Identity: Warhammer) and an Armored Battloid (Battletech Identity: Crusader) and the whole set hasn't been reissued since the Eighties. [The main drawback with the Factory in 1/100 is that few builders have the space to put it once it's completed!] The Changers models were reissued in the Nineties by ARII, but the Revell issues continue to be in demand with collectors. The Diranoth is from the series Acrobanch, and I think there was a reissue of that, but that series isn't at all well-known here in America. The Recovery Units were from the Dougram series and so would go very well with Battletech.

You can find more information here:

http://www.draddog.com/robotech/

Anyway, Revell sold their trademark to Harmony Gold (the producers of the Robotech TV show) around 1992 and there have been no imported model kits to bear the Robotech label since. Bandai and Hasegawa make most of the Macross models now--including some that Revell sold back when--but Harmony Gold hasn't exploited this fact. *shrug*

I contacted Revell about the possibility of their having a 25th Anniversary issue of Robotech in 2010/'11, and I was told back that their Product Development Department is working on the idea now.