Hello from Cleveland ohio!

AeroNutTom

Hello! My name is Tom DeMichael i'm an Aerospace Engineer born and raised in the mistake by the lake! I am relatively new to IPMS but I've been around the organization since about 2012 when I joined up with the Columbus Chapter while in college (Ohio State, Go Bucks!). I've been modeling since I was about 10, like many i'm sure, i started this with my dad. While he's become too busy for it I've stuck with it and made it my hobby and a passion of mine. When I graduated from OSU I moved to Cincinnati where I was apart of the Cincinnati chapter for a year. I then moved back to Cleveland and I unfortunately have yet to get out to any of the chapters up here because of my commitments on Sundays.

I have attached some of my builds to show you how i've grown in this hobby over the last 17 years (although I probably stopped modeling when I turned about 16 and picked it back up when I was 23). I build mainly 48th scale aircraft but will build 72nd when I can't find a plane in 48th :-P. In total i've probably built about 65 kits over that time frame but i'd say about 50 of them were within the last 5 years. The A-10 and Harrier were my first kits I did by myself and the Beaufighter is my most recent build(comments welcome on all). I am currently working on the Kittyhawk F-35C and honestly it has been a nightmare of a fit but I hope to have it done this weekend. A lot if not all of my improvements in my skills can be contributed to to Columbus Chapter members, Graham H, Mark M and Ben P. They were extremely helpful and insightful in helping me advance my skill set.

I will almost guarantee you will never see my builds at competition though, I do this for the fun of the hobby and don't have the urge to compete. I have been a judge for the last 2 years at Columbus' annual show, Blizzcon, and I look forward to doing it again this year. I will also be working (doing what I don't know) the nationals this year as well as it being my first nationals I'm looking very forward to it. Please feel free to find me and say hello, I love meeting new people and thoroughly enjoy talking techniques with fellow modelers.

If you want to see the rest of my collection they are posted on hyperscale's forum go to plastic pix section and search "aeronuttom" and follow the chain up and you will be able to see my builds.

Thanks to Dave and Dick for the warm welcome, i'm very glad to finally be an official IPMS member.

AeroNutTom

Aim High

post-2786-0-43852400-1421856083_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-50519800-1421856085_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-05477900-1421856088_thumb.jpg

post-2786-0-85815900-1421856089_thumb.jpg

Edited by AeroNutTom

Guest PetrolGator

Welcome, from a fellow aero engineer (though, admittedly, I followed the money into the oilfield! :) )

Looking forward to seeing your work.

Welcome Tom,

Nothing wrong at all with the "I BUILD FOR MYSELF" attitude. If more entrants had that attitude, the NATs and All competitions for that matter would be so much more enjoyable! Glad you found us and the forums!

Welcome Tom! I'm a fellow Rickenbacker ('79-'99) member; and "lifetime" member (provided I never move back! :smiley2: )

Love your attitude of putting FUN first. Jump right in here and help us continue with that attitude!

GIL :smiley16:

haha i think i may have heard of her :smiley2: but her sister is cooler :smiley20: <- no favoritism promise!

Edited by AeroNutTom
  • Like 1

Welcome Tom! I like what I see in your selection of pics. Well done. I also build for the pleasure of it and I still enter comps. I never expect to win given that I still consider myself quite the novice,so when I do, it's all cream. It looks like you're going to fit wight on here. I do hope to meet you at the Nationals this year.

Welcome Tom. Glad to have you here. Another Aero Engineer here but I want to Automotive.

Please take another consideration for contests. I tend to agree with Mark on contests. I get a kick out of seeing my models on the table. Winning is not the important point. I enjoy looking at the competition and thinking "mine may be better than that one but this one is really much better than what I can do". Also, contests are a great place to meet with other modelers plus, with all of the vendors, it is always the best and least expensive hobby shop around.

Hi Tom, welcome to IPMS.

Let me cordially invite you to the Three Rivers IPMS show coming up on March 21st. I've made the reverse trip a few times - its a nice road trip especially with a couple modeling buddies to help pass the time (and share the gas).

Pittsburgh is a bunch of heretics that use GSB style judging; its worth checking out as an alternative to the traditional contest.

If you make it look me up - I'll be the guy with gray hair and a black shirt :smiley29:

Don Schmitz