help!!! with resin casting

Zglossip

Hey there quick quistion I would apreciat a speedy response . I have received a resin casting kit from a family member for Christmas and I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how to cast a 3d tank wheel the I have been making pour on molds and I can't get the resin to come out of the mold without breaking it is really frustrating me i need help I know some of you use resin casting a lot so I thought I would ask here seeming I can't find anything on the internet to help me .

Hey there quick quistion I would apreciat a speedy response . I have received a resin casting kit from a family member for Christmas and I am having a very hard time trying to figure out how to cast a 3d tank wheel the I have been making pour on molds and I can't get the resin to come out of the mold without breaking it is really frustrating me i need help I know some of you use resin casting a lot so I thought I would ask here seeming I can't find anything on the internet to help me .

Not sure what you mean by a pour on mold.

The technique I've seen for small parts is to attach a styrene rod to the part, apply some mold release to the part, then use the rod to suspend the part in a small box and fill it up with RTV. Once the RTV cures, take a sharp knife and split one end of the rubber down the middle to the part; you should be able to open the mold up and pull the part out without tearing the rubber. Now you've got a single piece RTV mold with a pour hole (where the rod was sticking out of the part). Rubber band the split end shut and pour in the resin; once it cures it should come out as easily as the original.

Not sure how well that's going to work for a road wheel, but worth a try.

Without knowing what brand you are using, I've used Smooth-On and Alumilite and you also do not say what broke, the resin copy or the mold. Without that knowledge the best I can suggest is you are not using any mold release. Each casting company makes a mold release that you coat the master with and then the mold when casting. I just use Vaseline - a very thin coat. Also, as Schmitz suggested, cutting the mold slightly to help get the part out is recommended as well. It won't mess up the mold for re-use, save possible a seam on the copy that is easily sanded or adzed away.

HTH - Larry

The resin broke and what I mean by pour on I place it in a cup an pour the the rubber over it per instructions the the kit I have is smooth-on

Here's a link to the Smooth-On web page. They have videos and step-by-step pics that may help you see what you need to do to help remedy your problems:

http://www.smooth-on.com/Model-Making/c1290/index.html

Here's a good tutorial on casting a part with a 2-part mold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joexdltgj-k

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges