clear gloss isn't glossy

Zglossip

Hey one little question I use a clear gloss paint when applying decals and washes problem is it isn't glossy when dry it looks like it has a slight sheen to it but I can't seem to get as glossy as gloss paint any advice would help.

Microscale industries clear gloss is the one I'm using now but I have tried both tamiya and MM and I get the same results I dont know what to do .

If it is drying without a gloss then it is probably going down too dry. That being said, the quick fix is to move the airbrush/rattle can closer to the subject and move faster. Reason: The solvent is drying slightly between the nozzle and the surface and the paint doesn't have enough solvent to flow out to a glossy finish. By moving closer, there is less time for the solvent to dry but that means your painting circle is tighter so you are putting more product down. To reduce the amount of paint in one spot, you move faster.

Another reason is what's under it. If the base coat is a flat, it probably has an irregular/rough surface. Depending on to what degree this is the case, the gloss needs to accumulate enough to fill in all those low spots up to the point where it can have an even and thus, glossy, surface. Try to get your undercoat as smooth as possible. Some I have known have even polished this surface after it is thoroughly dry with a soft burlap to even it out. Best is to just get it as smooth as you can during application.

Yes, you really do have to "wet" the surface by reducing the pressure at which you're spraying and moving the nozzle closer to the subject, advancing slowly around the surface to be coated. Of course, all this runs the risk of applying too much in a spot, especially a concave area or "cove" such as a wing root and getting a pool that can run. The consensus seems to be that, as always, it takes practice. It always scares me to do it but if you can work up the nerve, it does improve decaling results and gloss finishes. Nick Filippone