Oldest Chapters?

rcboater

Is there a list somewhere that identitfes the first "x" chapters? Is an existing chapter considered to be the first, or oldest if the first one is no longer around?

I couldn't find anything on the History of IPMS USA on the website. I also did a search in this forum for thigns like "Oldest Chapter" or "First Chapter", and didn't get any matches......

That's a good question that I'll be interested in seeing an answer to.

I don't know exactly when the Rickenbacker club in Columbus chartered, but I think it was the early 70's. I know they hosted their first Nats in the early 70s, so they may be older than I think. I'm sure they're not as old as some of the oldest chapters!

Our First Coast IPMS club is merely 15, though it could be considered an extension of the older Jacksonville IPMS club that dated back at least as far as the 70s.

GIL :smiley16:

I'm in the middle of indexing all of the "memos" which came wrapped around the IPMS/UK magazines. I found mention of IPMS Albany/Schenectady (New York) in the September 1967 memo.

There's also mention of the Virginia/DC chapter in the October 67 memo.

But I'm pretty sure IPMS North Central Texas is older, as that was Jim Sage's home chapter.

I'll have to ask Ralph Forehand about that, as he was historian at that time.

Jim Pearsall

IPMS/USA Historian

This list was published somewhere and the DLC should have chartered dates. From memory, IPMS North Central Texas was first, IPMS John Glenn in Cleveland was fourth. I thin 2 and 3 were a group from Chicago and NY maybe

Dave

The earliest Chapters I recall, in the late 60s, were; Tidewater (Norfolk area), VA, and Seattle, WA. I can dig into my old Publications for further info.

Back then there were no requirements for being a chapter, Any couple guys could declare themselves a chapter and be listed in the Memos as such. I recall attending the Louisville, KY chapter meeting (while on a business trip) in one members basement with two members in attendance.

Gil - I attended the 1974 Convention in Columbus OH.

IPMS Seattle is Numero Uno. Jim Sage's home chapter (IPMS North Central Texas) did not seek a charter following Jim's launch of IPMS. IPMS Seattle's charter is continuous, meaning that they have renewed it every year without allowing it to expire.

Edited by Dick Montgomery
  • Like 2

The person to talk to is Fred Horky. I don't think he has the definitive answer, but I know he was researching this when he was Secretary. I can say that the Dayton Area Plastic Modelers was established in September 1968 and has been continuously chartered since then.

The chapter referred to above as Albany/ Schenectady (New York) is IPMS Northeast New York. It began meeting in 1966. It was formally chartered by Ralph Forehand in 1970. Nick Filippone, President, IPMS Northeast New York

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know exactly when the Rickenbacker club in Columbus chartered, but I think it was the early 70's. I know they hosted their first Nats in the early 70s, so they may be older than I think. I'm sure they're not as old as some of the oldest chapters!

GIL :smiley16:

Gil, when we redesigned the website, we did some research on the club history and found charter papers dating to 1966.

Graham Holmes

IPMS Columbus Eddie Rickenbacker Secretary

Edited by Graham Holmes
  • Like 1

Nope. It's Seattle. Jim Sage had some questions about the 1st chapter and he addressed those in an early IPMS/USA publication. Jim pointed out that his own home chapter of IPMS North Central Texas was not the 1st chapter as many thought at the time, but that Seattle was the first to apply and receive a charter, and that was in Jan/Feb of '64.

• 6 months later...

I find these historical thread really interesting. As this info is uncovered "someone" should be writing this all down before it disappears again. :smiley14:

Also Local club e-Boards should be talking/interviewing their most veteran members before they retire to the Model Room in the Sky.

The chapter re-charter form has space to record some of this info and I assume national is keeping whatever a chapter submits. Regardless, it makes a good starting point. If a chapter has a list of founding/former members (and their IPMS# is helpful) they might have lost contact with, then query the DLC or their RC to get their status, address, etc, and perhaps contact them for info.

• 1 year later...

IPMS Seattle Chapter has been referred to many years ago in a UK IPMS Mag as being the first USA Chapter formed.

Isn't Seattle famous for Starbucks first coffee bar as well?