IPMS/USA Website Issues

Eric Aitala

If you are experiencing a problem with the IPMS/USA web site - either the new site or the archived site - please post here. A lot of changes were made and some 'breakage' would not be surprising.

There may be broken links, missing images, browser issues, etc.

If possible, in your post please:

• Give a description of the problem
  • Post a screen shot of your issue
  • Visit http://www.ipmsusa.org/browser_test.html - and copy&paste the "Browser Version" and "User-agent header" information
  • The link to the page with the problem
  • Provide any other relevant information

I will attempt to resolve any issues that may arise....

Thanks much,

Eric Aitala - Webmaster

Not really an "issue" but I first had trouble finding the link to the forums - not a huge deal as I have it bookmarked now (new computer & I haven't been here in a while)

Everything seems to take a bit to load - but again I haven't been here in a while...
By "everything" I mean clicking between topics, and posting replies - I get the spinning circle. (but that could be on my end)

Thanks for all of your work with this!

A minor, but important issue.

Upon entering the new site, a banner appears across the top informing me that my browser is "out of date". I own a Windows Vista Home Edition computer (this is it) and for those who may not know, this OS is being supported by MS until 2020. The latest possible IE browser that one can run with this OS is IE9...period. Newer versions of IE will not run. So, to say that my browser is out of date is technically not correct. Is it old? Yes, but only about 4 years old and it is the most current version I can run. Is it out of date with the "new" HTML code? Possibly, but since I'm not a programmer, I can't say for sure.

Now, please no "IE stinks", "get Chrome", or "get Firefox" replies. I have tried both Chrome and Firefox and do not like either of them. I'll muddle through as best I can on the new site (already have run into a couple minor issues).

Respectfully,

Just went through the new doorway without an issue or any type of notifications. Found the Forum link in a matter of about 5 seconds. I like the new look and the layout is intuitive and logical.

Hi,

I bumped down the settings for the browser update bar to not include IE9.

While not bashing IE, according to Microsoft's own page (and this one), they technically still support IE 5.5, 6, and 7 until 2016. All three of these browsers have serious issues when it comes to following the HTML standards - even the ones set at the time those browsers were released - which make developing pages that are compatible with them and any newer browser a nightmare of massive proportions. I'm not even mentioning some of the security issues some which may or may not have been fixed.

We're also reliant on companies who provide third party software, for the Forums, the Online Store, etc, which requires code and security updates. Those companies are also dropping support for older browsers but we have to apply these updates to maintain the integrity of our websites. I'm not too happy with the situation either but I don't see a viable option if we (IPMS) are going to provide the services the Members require or desire now or in the future.

Also, Robert, please let me know what issues you are seeing with IE9 - I did do some testing with that browser, but not with Vista Home Edition.

Eric

Upon entering the new site, a banner appears across the top informing me that my browser is "out of date". I own a Windows Vista Home Edition computer (this is it) and for those who may not know, this OS is being supported by MS until 2020. The latest possible IE browser that one can run with this OS is IE9...period. Newer versions of IE will not run. So, to say that my browser is out of date is technically not correct. Is it old? Yes, but only about 4 years old and it is the most current version I can run. Is it out of date with the "new" HTML code? Possibly, but since I'm not a programmer, I can't say for sure.

Now, please no "IE stinks", "get Chrome", or "get Firefox" replies. I have tried both Chrome and Firefox and do not like either of them. I'll muddle through as best I can on the new site (already have run into a couple minor issues).

Respectfully,

Respectfully,

I have had this as a pop-up for Firefox. Except my Firefox WAS up to date.

I strongly suspect malware there. SO be very very careful. It's not the site, it's the bad guys.

Jim

Doesn't matter to me as far as the "look" for the new page vs. the old page. I just hope it was done for technical needs and not for the sake of change.

The only suggestion I'd like to make is that THIS FORUM needs its OWN, separate, link in the top banner (there's room) as opposed to having to drop down the "other sites" menu to get to it. As it is now, it is BURIED!

This (to me) just shows that IPMS and the powers in it are NOT interested in promoting this forum properly!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

I'm assuming you did not see the block that listed the most recent public Forums posts on the lower section of the home page?

While I agree we should highlight various aspects of our websites, other members who are involved with the Gallery / Reviews / Nationals / STT / MnT parts of the Society might also want separate links in the menu... what I would like to do is use the nature (and functionality) of these other sites - like the recent Forum posts block - to show the dynamic nature of IPMS, how we provide timely information, and how we provide a service to the hobby and to our membership.

E

Doesn't matter to me as far as the "look" for the new page vs. the old page. I just hope it was done for technical needs and not for the sake of change.

The only suggestion I'd like to make is that THIS FORUM needs its OWN, separate, link in the top banner (there's room) as opposed to having to drop down the "other sites" menu to get to it. As it is now, it is BURIED!

This (to me) just shows that IPMS and the powers in it are NOT interested in promoting this forum properly!

As pointed out elsewhere, those "recent posts" take you THERE, and not just to the forum. Granted, they both get you there, but people who aren't interested in whatever is the "recent" post, will probably not click there.

I disagree with your equating things like the MnT to this forum. This has the potential to be a second home daily, weekly, or monthly to all members, and especially to members without a local IPMS club. You cannot say any of those other areas could serve the same function to the entire membership!

• 2 years later...

Having problems signing into ipms store to register for nats. Password works for forum but not in store. Tried password recovery. Link in restore message not working. When link entered manually message times out/does not open. HELP !!!!

PHIL PALMER

I emailed you back a couple hours ago.

E

Having problems signing into ipms store to register for nats. Password works for forum but not in store. Tried password recovery. Link in restore message not working. When link entered manually message times out/does not open. HELP !!!!

PHIL PALMER