Maddog Manufacturing 2015 Production Line

Mark Deliduka

Thanks Bob! No, I was doing my best to take my time and not rush this. Fortunately I was able to get it completed.

After all of your tips, suggestions and ideas, I have finally managed to complete the painting and clearcoating of this Saturn V to my relative satisfaction. Here's the pics I promised showing the progression of my work.

I started with some preliminary masking on the lower and middle section of the rocket to block out the areas where this was going to be painted black:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXVIII.jpg

You can see where I also added some "B's" to indicate where I was going to paint this black so I didn't inadvertently mask the wrong area, or neglect to mask another.

Here is the upper part of the rocket with more preliminary masking:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXVIIIa.jpg

After getting all that done, I completed the masking with additional tape and some paper towels covering the largest white areas:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXIX.jpg

Then I shot the black. I used my airbrush and it still took an entire bottle of Testor's Model Master Flat Black:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXX.jpg

Now while that was drying, I finished the black on the collar of the LEM compartment, assembled the whole thing and tested the fit of the LEM inside. This was also supposed to allow me to see how the 'window' I left in the clear part looks; as well as to see how well the LEM is visible inside. I am quite pleased to see how well it fit:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXXII.jpg

Another shot with the Command Module in place:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXXIII.jpg

Finally the masking came off the rest of the rocket. It was like unwrapping a Christmas present! I was pretty pleased with how well this ended up looking:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXXI.jpg

There were a few areas that needed some touchup, but overall the making worked better than I expected.

Next came the decals. The "UNITED" and "STATES" came as two separate decals, so I put the "STATES" on first and lined up the "UNITED" above it to make sure everything looked right:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXXIVa.jpg

Next I took the second stage and added it to the first stage and then added the lower stage decals. I put the second stage on first in order to line everything up properly on the lower stage:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XXXIVb.jpg

After all that, I set it aside to dry. While it was drying, I finished up the Headless Horseman; doing a few things I'd wanted to do to enhance it. I then went back to the Saturn V and applied all the extensive stenciling to the Command Module and set that aside to dry. When everything was ready, I shot a new clearcoat on this whole rocket. When that had dried, I finished up a few more details and then finally, the Saturn V was done!

Here's a teaser pic. This was taken in front of my bathroom door. It was the only place I had an unobstructed place to set this up and shoot the pics:

Saturn_V_Rocket_III.jpg

This and the other three pics are in the Sci-Fi and Real Space Forum.
Also, here is a teaser of the completed Headless Horseman:

Sleepy_Hollow_I.jpg

He's in the Figures Forums; feel free to check him out too.

I'll be taking these two models along with my Dora rail gun to the Ontario, California Minicon this Saturday. I'm looking forward to the fun!

Thanks all for looking in and enjoying the ride. Comments are welcome.

First off , those models look great Mark! Secondly.....................Where in the world are you gonna display that rocket at? That rocket looks like it could go in the place usually reserved for the family Christmas tree. lol

Edited by mustang1989

Thanks Joseph! I'll be displaying that rocket at every contest I can take it to. Otherwise, she'll be staying in her box since I have no space to display it at home.

Thanks again for the great comment!

• 3 weeks later...

Ken, so far I have the following models being packed up to go to the Nationals:

1/72 scale Dora railgun

1/72 scale Dragon Saturn V Rocket

Polar Lights Legend of Sleepy Hollow: the Headless Horseman

1/72 scale Hobby Boss Easy Build F-86 Sabre jet

1/72 scale Hasegawa Australian F-111 Aardvark

1/72 scale Hasegawa Iranian F-4 Phantom

1/72 scale ACE British Forlite Staff Car

1/72 scale Roden Strassenzepp bus

1/72 scale Mack "Bulldog" with FT-17 tank

1/72 scale Japanese Type 60 Self Propelled Recoilless Gun vehicle

1/72 scale Japanese Type 10 tank with Dozer blade

These are all the ones I finished this year that are going. I also have several built last year that are coming too.

Good Lord! I hope you are not flying. I can picture TSA destroying your entries before you even make it out of Cali

I'll see you and Gil there. I'm bringing my 1/32 P-40E (my avatar pciture) and a 1/48 FW190A-3 for the contest and a P-47D for the display only tables. I won't be arriving until Friday morning though but I only live 2.5 hours away.

-Ken

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gil, Dora stayed packed in her crate. She came through the trip with flying colors. I also took the Amtrak train so I didn't need to tow her. LOL!

Ken I took the train. I had three boxes to transport and I surely wasn't going to trust the TSA with any of them!

Mark,

Was good catching up with you at Nats. Hopefully all the models made it back home safe and sound and Amtrak was a bit less frustrating going home.

So, Omaha 2017?

Phil is was great seeing you again! I feel we just didn't have enough time together. Amtrak did okay, but some models did break. Not as many as did on the way out though. Haven't opened Dora or the Saturn V yet; still trying to find some time to unpack.

As for Omaha, I just don't see me ever getting to another Nationals as long as they are on the east and central regions. They are prohibitively expensive for me. It's gonna be a long while before I can get to a Nationals again, if ever.

Well, I finally found time to get to the workbench after all this time. Now I managed to get enough progress to show here.

I'll start with my armor. I had left off before my trips with the Atomic Annie unfinished so she was the first one I started on. I completed the wheels and some details and touchups. Now to clearcoat this for decals:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XVIII.jpg

This one is so close I can taste it!

Next, I decided to start a new model for the next Braille Scale Group Build on another Forums. This is the Modelcollect 1/72 scale T-90A with the welded turret. I started by assembling the road wheels and then gluing them with Gator's Grip Glue to the (metal) lower hull:

WIP_OTS_GB_I.jpg

Since I couldn't get the road wheels to line up properly, I adopted a radical solution: I placed this in a vice and carefully tightened it up until all the road wheels were aligned:

WIP_OTS_GB_II.jpg

Yeah, crazy idea, but it worked! I doubt I'd try this on a plastic-hulled tank though...

Moving on to my latest aircraft progress, I decided to work on some aircraft that had been sitting for far too long. One of these was my F/A-18 Hornet I'd started for the Modern Aircraft Campaign on the Modelers Alliance. So, I pulled it out, dipped the canopy and windscreen in Future, and then continued with the extensive sanding and filling and sanding again until I'd gotten it done as well as I could expect. Then I installed the canopy and windscreen on the model:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_X.jpg

When this was dry, I applied the liquid mask to the windscreen and canopy in preparation for painting:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_XI.jpg

As I was waiting for that to dry, I realized that my little Mustang was right about at the same stage as the Hornet. So, I pulled this one out next.

Now this Airfix 1/72 scale Mustang was a raffle prize I'd won at the Nationals and I'd started it at mt brother's house after the Nationals. Here is where I was on this at the time I came home:

WIP_Columbus_Mustang_I.jpg

So, I dipped the canopy and windscreen for this in the Future and then filled and sanded this while waiting for the Future to dry. Fortunately, I didn't have to fill and sand as much as I did on the Hornet. After I finished, I added the canopy and windscreen to this Mustang:

WIP_Columbus_Mustang_II.jpg

After that was sufficiently dry, I masked the clear parts along with the Hornet's clear parts:

WIP_Columbus_Mustang_III.jpg

Now I'll have two aircraft ready for paint once those masks dry...

Now I went back to trying to finish some aircraft that had been sitting for a long time. The one most in need of attention was my ancient Aurora 1/72 scale Jet Commando. I had lost the main windscreen pieces and couldn't for the life of me, fabricate a suitable replacement set due to the complex curvature of the cockpit area. So I had set it aside to be a long-term shelf queen.

No more! I found another Aurora Jet Commando being sold at the Nationals, and it was only $7.00 because it was "started". Well I snapped it up, and now that I'm home, I pulled this out and the old one out and I started once again to work on this.

The first thing I noticed was some incredibly bad sink marks on the main wings where the plastic at the wheel wells had shrunk. Out came the Mr. Surfacer 500 which was liberally applied to the upper wings:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_I.jpg

I apologize for the severity of the brightness/contrast on this pic, but the original was so washed out, you couldn't see the Mr. Surfacer. Here you can see how much area had to be covered. Later, after doing other work (shown below) I sanded and buffed the wings until they were smooth and ready for paint:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_IV.jpg

Now back to the fuselage. I added the curved windscreen pieces to the front of the cockpit area, but the side windows were unusable due to having massive injector pin marks in the center of the clear part!

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_II.jpg

You can see it more clearly on the left hand window. So, I did what anyone would do: I used Testor's Clear Parts Cement and Window maker on the side windows. However, it didn't dry completely clear! I still had a bunch of white on the window, so I took them out. Here's what I saw: (pic taken after I'd removed the glue)

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_IIIa.jpg

That was after a day and a half of drying; that's why I pulled it out. I then used Micro Crystal Clear to make the windows and they came out far more clear and clean. You can see it here after it was first added:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_III.jpg

Next I did some rudimentary painting of the interior of this plane. I only did a suggestion of the interior due to it not being seen too well from outside since the windows were so thick. Here's what I did do though; the tan on the lower section was supposed to represent paneling. Not how clear the Micro Crystal Clear turned out in the side window:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_V.jpg

Here's a slightly better view of the interior cabin:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_Va.jpg

Next, I added some nose weights just to be sure. (the bullet weight in the previous pics was shoe-horned into the nose after some modifications) Then it was time to close this bad boy up:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_VI.jpg

Just for fun, I dry-fit the wings, tail surfaces and engines to this plane to see how it will look down the line. I am really pleased with this little jet:

WIP_Aurora_Jet_Commando_VII.jpg

Anyway, aside from all that, I was able to complete a small ship that had been sitting for a while. It was one of my Modeling New Year's Resolutions that I resolved to complete by the end of this Year. Feel free to check it out in the Ships Forums.

Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for not posting anything for quite some time, but I've been fighting several illnesses that all hit me one after another; sometimes even running concurrently. Every time I thought I was recovering fine, everything came rushing back to me; beating me down harder than before. After several trips to the Doc and two different antibiotics; I've finally recovered enough to start posting something here for now.

Some of this is actually work that I got done before I got sick, but never had the chance to post until now. Once I recovered enough to start building again, I got so fed up with the crap all over my workbench that I went to work cleaning it up. This has been a major effort that is still underway.

I'll start with one of the train cars for one of my two Russian armored trains that I started to do before. I got the top and bottom attached and clamped it to dry:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_VI.jpg

You can also see the two turrets for this car that were assembled and sanding a bit to improve the look on them.

After it dried, I dry-fit the turrets to see how well they looked:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_VII.jpg

I still have a lot of photo etch to add to this, but first, I taped off the top and added Mr. Surfacer 500 to the joint so I can fill the joint and sand it smooth without losing all the surface detail on the top half of this train car:

WIP_Iron_Rails_GB_OB3_VIII.jpg

Next up is another model I got more progress on before I got sick. This is my Russian T-90 with the welded turret. I got the turret assembled and added the main gun:

WIP_OTS_GB_III.jpg

Next I went to work on the upper hull. I added all the extra parts and the side skirts to this. Here you can see it test fit to the lower hull:

WIP_OTS_GB_IV.jpg

Later on, I completed the turret, adding all the smoke dischargers and the Schtora fixtures. Here it is all complete except for tracks; ready for paint:

WIP_OTS_GB_V.jpg

In between these other two projects, I spent some 'down time' sanding and smoothing out this C-46 to get it ready for paint. I also had added the horizontal stabilizers on the tail and have been sanding and filling and sanding seams forever to get this ready for paint:

WIP_C_46_XII.jpg

Now, after several weeks of trying to clean and organize my Hobby Room, I'm still not quite done enough to do anything there, but an opportunity arose to go to the Hobby Day Hall for some modeling time. So Maddog Manufacturing started up again briefly in a satellite plant to make some progress on a couple models while the main plant is still undergoing renovations. Unfortunately, due to the demands of a comission job I took on some months back; I was only able to get work done on one model before it was time to head home.

This is the IBG Diamond T cargo truck that I was able to start at the satellite plant. I got the chassis partly completed along with the engine:

WIP_Diamond_T_Cargo_Truck_I.jpg

After that, I started on the cab, getting the interior done and the main hood on the front:

WIP_Diamond_T_Cargo_Truck_III.jpg

WIP_Diamond_T_Cargo_Truck_II.jpg

That's about all I will do on that until I can paint the interior. Then I'll move on.

As for that commission job? A friend has the Starship Troopers board game that has a ton of miniature Starship Troopers and Bugs (Arachnids for those fans of the movies) that needed to be built and painted.

Well, they got built, for the most part:

WIP_Starship_Troopers_I.jpg

There are still a number of accouterments that need to be added to most of the troopers, but the bugs are done. Now to finish the troopers and get everything painted so I can get paid for this job.

That's about all I have to show. I'm still working on the Hobby Room, so I'm not sure when I'll be able to post any progress again, but stay tuned. I do hope to be able to resume production soon.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Rusty I can't wait to get that Starship Troopers set done!

Thanks Gil! I'm not quite back yet; I still need some more straightening out to do in the Hobby Room before I'm fully back at it. At least I'm feeling Human again!

As for the designer of theT-90.. He was Russian after all... :smiley2:

Paul, lets get going then! I want to see some of your work soon.

Here's a small update here from me.

Maddog Manufacturing's main Factory has completed renovations and is open for business. The bench and the room is now clean and organized enough to start some work on the remaining Works in Progress I have going:

20115_Workbench_XII.jpg

The spraybooth is now cleaned off and ready as well. Here's the lineup of models needing clearcoat and/or paint:

Spraybooth_I.JPG

Spraybooth_Ia.JPG

Two of those need the clearcoat for decals; the rest need paint. I'm hoping to be able to shoot paint tomorrow or the next day.

Once I got the workbench and room the way I wanted, I decided to repair a number of models that had been broken during cleanup. There were about 17 of them and so I just repaired the landing gear, ordinance and such that had fallen off. No pics of that, I repaired them and then replaced them on the shelves.

One the repairs were done; I re-started a couple models that I'd been wanting to move on. The first one was my Russian armored train. I got the main engine finished with all the main parts on it:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XI.jpg

This engine is now ready for all the Photo-etch that goes on it. You can see how happy he is to be getting the Photo-etch soon:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XII.jpg

Here's a shot of the rest of the train all ready for the photo etch:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_XIII.jpg

Finally, awhile ago, I had started about three Russian guns along with a British one. Sometime after starting all of them, one gun disappeared completely after I'd started it. After I had cleaned up and organized the whole room, I finally found this gun that had fallen back behind something. It had been half started, so I decided to finish it up. Here it is in front of the box it was in. Now it is ready for paint as well:

WIP_BS_3_Russiam_Gun_I.jpg

And that is what I was able to get done before it was time to hit the sack. Now that I have a clean and organized room and my health; things should be picking up rather quickly now. So, stay tuned, more to come.

Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Thanks Gil! I couldn't resist adding the face. Don't worry, there'll be no bleed-through here; There'a a P/E plate that covers the whole front of this that has all the detail on it. I doubt the marker will be able to bleed through that. It's also why I didn't do more to fix that seam down the middle of his face.

Stay tuned, more to come.