Maddog Manufacturing 2015 Production Line

Mark Deliduka

This past weekend was my Hobby Day weekend and I was able to get a lot of little things done. Here's my latest update on what's going on.

First off, on Friday Hobby Day I made some more progress on my Japanese 3.5-ton truck. The cab and bed are all done, sans clear parts. I plan on getting some interior painting done, as well as paint the chassis. Then I'll be able to add the clear parts and assemble everything else more permanently. Meanwhile, here it is dry-fit together:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_III.jpg

Another Japanese truck I worked on was the radar truck for the SAM system. I got the cab, control box and most of the radar stand box all assembled. Here it is all dry-fit together as well:

WIP_Radar_Truck_III.jpg

Since I worked on the radar truck, I naturally needed to work on the missile carrier. I got the cab and launcher box all assembled along with some other detail parts. One again, here's a shot of it dry-fit together:

WIP_Missile_Truck_II.jpg

With all these trucks being built, I figured one more should also get done. So, I pulled out one of my Birthday presents from Jeff and Saul and got started on it too. I managed to get the chassis and the cab finished on the Chevy 15 CWT truck:

WIP_Canadian_Truck_I.jpg

I still have a few seams to deal with on that.

After all those trucks, I needed a break! Therefore I pulled out this old Hasegawa UH-1 Huey Hog to work on. I started with the cockpit and interior naturally:

WIP_Huey_Hog_I.jpg

Next I added all the clear parts to the window openings in preparation for painting the interior and closing it up:

WIP_Huey_Hog_II.jpg

On Saturday Hobby Day, I returned from my IPMS E-board meeting with my Annie and immediately got started on it. Because of numerous interruptions during the next four hours, I was only able to get this far on the forward towing tractor:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_I.jpg

That is about all I have to show for this week. Hopefully I'll have some time this week to do more so stay tuned. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

Well, today my condo was being worked on all day so I stayed home to attend to the workers whenever needed. I didn't need to do much for them so I was able to stay out of their way in my Hobby Room. I was able to get quite a bit done while I was in there, but not as much as I had hoped to. Enough banter, here's the latest progress I've made...

To start with, I got the interior of the cab on the JGSDF three-ton truck painted up:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_IV.jpg

Later I installed all the windows onto the outer cab and let them dry before I masked them up for painting later. Here is the truck all dry-fit together; she's now ready for paint:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_V.jpg

I decided to put the benches in the back in the stowed position; my other 3-tonner with the kitchen trailer and water trailer has the benches deployed for all the relief workers that would be inside. This one is going to be a cargo truck.

While I was doing cab interiors, I also painted up the cab interiors on the JGSDF radar and missile trucks, as well as added the clear windows to these as well:

WIP_Missile_Truck_III.jpg

Later on I masked these windows as well.

Gee, while I was painting all these truck interiors, why not get the interior done on the Type 60 "Nippon Ontos"? So, I pulled out additional colors and went to work. The interior overall was white, so that went in first. Then I painted the engine, transmission, and other related parts in Oiled Steel first. The seats were done in olive drab and the other parts done in flat black. I also painted the pedals in steel as well and then dry-brushed white on the face of the radio for the knobs, and added a red knob or two in there too. After the paint had dried, I applied a wash of Oily Black to the engine and transmission parts and the rest of the interior was done with a raw umber wash. Unfortunately that doesn't show up well in these pics. I apologize for this; I tried to adjust the white balance to show this better, but I guess I'm not experienced enough with that. Anyway, here's a couple of pics of the interior:

WIP_Type60_RR_XI.jpg

WIP_Type60_RR_X.jpg

While that was drying, I also masked off the vision blocks on this as well as the other clear parts that are not supposed to be painted. Now my baby Ontos is ready for paint as well.

After all that, I went ahead and finished up the radar truck to get it ready for paint:

WIP_Radar_Truck_IV.jpg

After that, I continued to work on the the missile truck to get it all ready for paint as well. I assembled all the missile arms and two box assemblies that I think are supposed to hold reloads, but I'm not sure:

WIP_Missile_Truck_IV.jpg

Then it came time to glue the missile launcher arms to the launcher. However, I didn't want to glue them in some arbitrary position; I figured if I'm making this in firing mode, I should make the arms moveable. So, I cut off the mounting pins, drilled some holes and then glued a brass rod inside one of them:

WIP_Missile_Truck_V.jpg

Next I put the rod through the existing holes in the launcher body and super-glued the other rocker arm in place. I had taped it into place to hold it so I could line them both up perfectly:

WIP_Missile_Truck_VI.jpg

Afterward, I added the platforms that the re-load(?) boxes go on and added them to the truck. These actually move up and down: up for travel mode and down for firing mode. I glued mine in the lowered position for firing mode. Here is what the whole thing looked like when I dry-fit this truck together:

WIP_Missile_Truck_VII.jpg

I didn't add the boxes to these yet as there were some bad seams on top that I covered with Mr. Surfacer. I'm going to sand them first to make the top smooth before I add them to the truck.

Now I have three trucks and a Type 60 "Nippon Ontos" all ready for paint!

I wasn't ready to pull out the airbrush and fire up the compressor, so I figured it was a good time to pull out Anni and get some more work done on her. The first thing I did was finish up the forward tractor that I'd started at Hobby Day:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_II.jpg

Then I went to work on the secondary Tractor and got that completed as well:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_III.jpg

I did have a few issues with these as they went together; particularly in lining up suspension and other support parts underneath, but nothing real difficult to fix. Here are both tractors sitting together waiting for the rest of the gun to be built:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_IV.jpg

After this, I painted the interiors of the cabs on these and then masked off the windows again in preparation for paint. It looks like my airbrush is going to get quite a workout tomorrow!

That is all I got done today. I'm hoping tomorrow will be at least as productive. If not, I'm hoping to at least get some paint shot on all these. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.

• Like 1

Okay, now for my latest update. I didn't get anything done on Annie so much; I was trying instead to get caught up on other models that I had started before I got her. Here is what I was able to do so far this week...

I started out by filling some gaps and seams and adding the canopy to my little Czech plane:

WIP_Czech_Plane_III.jpg

Then I moved on to my armor. I started by shooting a basecoat over the three trucks and the Type 10 tank:

WIP_Radar_Truck_V.jpg

WIP_Missile_Truck_VIII.jpg

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_VI~0.jpg

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_V.jpg

After they were dry, I painted the canvas roof on each one of the truck cabs:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_VII.jpg

While they were drying, I painted the chassis of the three trucks. I started with a flat black. When they were dry, I followed that with a dry-brush of steel and then a wash of Oily Black to get this result:

WIP__Three_ton_Heavy_Truck_VIII.jpg

It's tough to see in this pic, but the result is quite impressive in person if I do say so myself.

Now I have at least one truck ready for clearcoat and decals. The other two need to be masked for their camouflage patterns.

Next I shot a basecoat on the Type 60 self-propelled gun carriage:

WIP_Type60_RR_XII.jpg

Later on I pulled out my Silly Putty to do the masking in preparation for the second camo color. Now she's ready for the next coat of paint:

WIP_Type60_RR_XIII.jpg

Finally, I pulled out my Type 10 tank and completed the turret with almost all the detail parts. I left off the ones that would constantly break with handling:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_VI.jpg

Here it is sitting on the painted hull:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_VII.jpg

I also painted and dry-brushed the tracks for this so I could get them installed:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_IX.jpg

By then, the turret was dry enough for a shot of basecoat so I shot that too:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_VIII.jpg

Once the tracks were dry, I added them to the main hull of the tank and then installed the outer roadwheels:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_X.jpg

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XI.jpg

Later on I added the sides of the tank to complete the main body of it. Here it is all assembled and ready for masking for the second camo color:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XII.jpg

Now all I have to do is mask off the tracks and wheels with some aluminum foil and apply the Silly Putty to this to paint the second color on it.

In between all that, I fiddled around with my Sleepy Hollow figure, sanding and filling and sanding and shaping and sanding and filling and.... you get the idea. Finally I felt that I'd gotten all the gaps and seams properly taken care of so I did some more detail work on this model.

First off I painted the base with a dark brown color; a Burnt Sienna if I recall. I also had to paint the pumpkins in a tan color or the orange I will use will not show up properly on the black primer color I shot earlier:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XIV~0.jpg

I had also painted the large tree that goes on the base but I didn't take a pic of it. I also shot a red over the inside of the Horseman's cape as directed in the instructions. I tried to make sure some of the black undercoat could still be made out as shadow:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XV.jpg

I may try dry-brushing that with some lighter red later; as well as wash it with a dark brown color.

Speaking of painting red, I shot red on the vest of the Horseman since I couldn't find any acceptable maroon color. Afterward, I washed this with a dark brown wash to see if it darkens down the red while bringing out the shadows. Since I also had the tan out for the pumpkins, I added it to the face of the head as a basecoat. I think it is slowly coming along, but I may still fiddle with the colors some more:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XVI.jpg

Well, that is about all I did so far. This next week is going to be a long, busy one so I don't know when I'll get back to the bench. Until then, enjoy this tour and remember that comments are always welcome. Thanks all for looking in.

Okay, here is a small update from me for today. I'm also experimenting here with a Gallery on another site since the LEM went down again.

I started out with the Type 10 tank with Dozer blade by doing some sanding on the turret and other places. I also masked off the wheels and tracks in preparation for paint. Here it is awaiting touch up of the basecoat before I mask with Silly Putty for the second camo color:

WIP_Type_10_wDozer_XIII.jpg

Next I decided to start on the Russian Armored Train I'm doing for two Group Builds. I started out by doing the wheels and axles for the engine and tender. As you can see here, the axles that are provided in the kit are crap as they break when you look at them wrong! So, I got a piece of styrene rod about the same diameter and cut it to size to make my own axles:

WIP_On_RR_Tracks_GB_I.jpg

Next I had to enlarge the slots where the wheels stick out on the bottom of the engine and tender. You can see the ones I enlarged already compared to the original size:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_III.jpg

As I continued to build the wheels and axles for the rest of the tender, I happened to notice something. What's wrong with this picture?

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_IV.jpg

The bottom left wheel was molded without the rim! Oh well, it will barely be seen underneath this train once everything is assembled. You can see that in this next pic where I finally got the engine and tender mostly assembled with the basic assembly:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_V.jpg

Moving along, I finished the interior painting on the Atomic Annie tractor cabins:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_V.jpg

Next I built all the interior components of the gun carriage:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_VI.jpg

While that was all drying, I assembled the gun. This was pretty tough despite the longest section being molded with slide molding technique so that it was all one piece. The lower section of the gun was two halves and the gun trunnion was two halves and second section of the gun needed to be glued to the first; leaving a big seam. After awhile, I think I had it filled, sanded and ready to go:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_VII.jpg

Just to be sure, I put the whole thing together. It looks pretty good:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_VIII.jpg

Meanwhile, I went back to the main gun carriage and added the interior parts to one side of the gun carriage:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_IX.jpg

After I did that, I realized what a boneheaded idiocy I'd done. Getting paint into certain parts of that will be well nigh
impossible with my airbrush and any other paint applicator! Oh well....

I did figure that it would be cool to see this thing all together, so I dry-fit the other side to the above assembly:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_X.jpg

It's only snapped together so I'll be able to paint it up when I need to.

Later, after I finished making sure the gun was fully completed sanding-wise as well as dry, I added it to the mock-up to see how this is gonna look:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XI.jpg

She's nowhere near the size of Dora but she's still quite impressive! I'm looking forward to getting more done on this soon.

Until then, comments are welcome, thanks all for looking in!

Another batch of good looking builds, Mark.

(Looks like this may the only place for you and I to stay in touch from now on)

You sir, are a model building machine!! If I had that many projects going on at once I would pass out just by looking at my bench/benches!!! sSc_thud_zps5bdfced4.gif

That's a good way of lookin' at it. I get sensory overload when I get more than one section of one build on my bench!! lol

Sometimes that happens to me too, so when it does, I tend to walk away from the bench. Gives me a chance to reset. But doing all these keeps me going; when I can't go any further one one model, I pull out another!

As promised, here's my latest progress.

I'll start with something simple that I was working on at Hobby Day. I finalized the assembly of Annie so that now she's ready for paint:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XII.jpg

And then, since I had also brought Dora to repair and improve for a local contest coming up, I decided to shoot a comparison pic that someone requested once before. Here's Annie sitting next to her 'big sister' Dora:

WIP_Atomic_Annie_XIII.jpg

Quite the difference there...

One fellow IPMS member who was at Hobby Day remarked, "I guess size doesn't matter when you've got a nuclear warhead!"

Staying with Armor, I assembled the two rail cars for the Russian Armored Train I'm doing for the On RR Tracks Campaign on another Forums:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_VII.jpg

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_VI.jpg

I also attached the engine and tender to each other and then completed all the turrets (sans guns on the smaller ones to keep from breaking off the guns). Here's the whole train all together so far. I didn't have enough rail to pose this whole train so it is sitting on the table:

WIP_OnRRTracksGB_X.jpg

Moving along, I decided to change things up a bit and start an F-18 for the Modern Aircraft Campaign on another Forums.

Naturally, I started with the cockpit:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_III.jpg

It's pretty basic but there will be a lot of decals going in there once I paint it. Next is a shot of the cockpit on the forward fuselage assembly:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_IV.jpg

After that, I assembled the main fuselage assembly:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_V.jpg

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_VI.jpg

Finally, I completed the main wings; drilling out the holes for the ordinance and cementing the parts together. Now all the sub assemblies for this aircraft are done and I can complete the cockpit and start shooting paint on this:

WIP_Modern_Aircraft_GB_VII.jpg

After all that, I needed a break from building so I pulled out my Sleepy Hollow model and did some additional painting. First off, I painted the pumpkins using Testor's Turn Signal Amber over a dark tan. It is still a bit glossy since turn signals tend to be shiny, but a good dullcoat will tone that down. I'm pretty pleased with these:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XVIII.jpg

Next I painted the large tree that goes on the base. It will get a dark wash later... maybe:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XX.jpg

Next I painted the severed head; completing the mouth, the hair and giving a grey dry-brush to the face to add a dead pallor to the complexion. I didn't want to overdo it since this is supposed to be a fresh kill. I do still have a few touchups and improvements to do:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XIX.jpg

Next I did the little Sleepy Hollow sign. I like it so far:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XXI.jpg

Finally, here's an overall shot of the whole model so you can see most of it all together:

WIP_CTA_MyChoice_XVII.jpg

Finally, I was getting upset at Dragon for the poor directions on the Saturn V. They show parts being put on the main body of this rocket; parts that have locating pins. However, there are no corresponding holes for the parts on the body of the rocket. There are places inside the smooth parts of the rocket that can be opened for these things but none on the ribbed portion of the rocket. Furthermore, there are no indications for adding the parts to the other side of this rocket so one has to guess as to placement! So, I figured I would just "wing it"! One thing I did was to drill out the holes that I figured where the right ones. The other thing I did was to place most of the second side parts; particularly the ones that went on the ribbed sections, directly opposite the first parts I added.

Okay, here is Stage One of the Saturn V all built up:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIII.jpg

This is Stage Two:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XIV.jpg

And now the lower part of Stage Three:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XV.jpg

The upper part of Stage Three is where the LEM sits.

And of course, the whole rocket assembled so far:

WIP_Saturn_V_Rocket_XVI.jpg

Now this part of the rocket at least is ready for paint. I can't go much further on the rest of it yet until I get the LEM gold-leafed and assembled.

Each stage will remain unglued for ease of transport, to be assembled on site of any contest I take it to.

Okay, that completes my latest progress so far. Hopefully I can get even further later in the week. Meanwhile, thanks for looking in, comments are welcome!

I've seen one of those Dora's built before on another forum that's no longer active. That one wasn't you was it?

Duke, you are crazy but - great work. Aren't those Opel buses a PTIA with the chassis. Love the DC-6. I remember watching one when I was a kid. It was at South Bend, IN. In those days, people could climb up to the roof of the terminal to watch the planes.

Thanks for the great comments guys! Joseph, if you are talking about the old MBI Forums, then yes, that was me. I've also shown Dora in progress here on the IPMS Forums, on the LEM, and on another site.

Thanks Clare, I admit to being a bit crazy. yes, the Opel buses are quite the pain with the issues on their chassis. Fortunately, I have only two more to build in the Roden line, until the Vomag bus comes out. The DC-6, while not quite finished, is declared finished until I can find or replace the several parts that went missing. The rest of the buses are completed already as well. In fact, the Strassenzep bus was photographed at the Valleycon by an automotive model magazine for publication.

Thanks again for the great compliments guys!

It wasn't the MBI forums Mark. I was thinking you were in on the now dissolved SPAR forum as well?

No, I wasn't on SPAR, but I'm on the current SPAM now. I got into that at the invitation of a friend after the SPAR went down. I hadn't ever heard of SPAR before then.

I'm on SPAM also but I stick mostly to the automotive section. I'm pretty much the only one in that section but hey, for now that's what I'm in to. I am looking very much forward to building my 109 for my 109 GB over at FSM.

I was actually a member of SPAR for a while before the big blow up and subsequent shut down. Thomas M and Lyle and now stikpusher are really trying to get SPAM off the ground. I hope they do it. I'm doing my part to help 'em out.

Edited by mustang1989

I never knew about SPAR so I don't know what happened. I'm also trying to help get SPAM off the ground too. Stikpusher (Carlos) is a member of both my AMPS and IPMS chapters and a very good friend. I want to help him out all I can.

I'm not too much into Automotive, but I do love a great glassy finish and I have great respect for those who can do them. I'll have to stop into the Automotive section to see your work.