The Duke's Latest Model

Mark Deliduka

Hello everyone! I finally finished another model.

This is my Finemolds 1/72 scale Y-wing fighter:

Star_Wars_Y-wing_CTA_2014_I.jpg

Star_Wars_Y-wing_CTA_2014_II.jpg

Star_Wars_Y-wing_CTA_2014_III.jpg

Star_Wars_Y-wing_CTA_2014_IV.jpg

The final work was a wash and then a dullcoat, followed by some additional weathering with the airbrush. You may notice that the R-2 unit is missing. It's somewhere in the Hobby Room, but for now, this is done. After all, the R-2, unit would have been removed after a flight anyway. I'll get it in there soon.

Thanks all for looking in and for all the supportive comments.

• Like 1

Nice ,me and my brother are star wars nerds this looks great ! Do you always build 1:72 scale is there a benefit to it . anyway model looks great keep it up .

Thanks Z. Yes, I always build in 1/72 scale; although I have done a few models in1/48 (mostly for a friend who wanted models of the planes he worked on) and I'm doing a 1/32 scale Tigershark right now for our IPMS club's Theme for January: Go big! Still, I prefer to keep my collection consistent in the same scale.

One of the tangible benefits to this is that I can fit a lot more finished models on my shelves. Also, the ones hanging on the ceiling aren't as heavy as larger aircraft, so they stay up there better. I did still have a couple pull out of the ceiling during a couple earthquakes, but repositioning the hooks so they sink into ceiling joists solved that problem.

The other more intangible benefit, to my way of thinking, is that with everything in the same scale, I can see the relative size difference of various vehicles and aircraft when set side-by-side.

Here's a couple of examples:

This Mi-26 Halo, the Russian GAZ car, and the Spetz officer are all the same scale. You can see how big this helicopter is in comparison to them:

Russian_Mi_26_Halo_III.JPG

Also, this bus and the command group are the same scale as the Dora rail gun behind them. What a monster this gun was:

IMG_0649a.JPG

And finally a fun one: The 1/72 scale Y-wing fighter next to the 1/72 scale F-35 Lightning II:

WIP_COMPARISONAIRANDSPACE.jpg

Anyway, that's just a few examples of the intangible benefit of seeing comparisons of two same-scale subjects.

Thanks again for the great comment.

Hi, Mark,

Your Y-Wing looks fabulous. Your washes and the light weathering make all the details on the surfaces produce the "busy" effect of the movie props. Of all the Star Wars kits I have, I've never had the good fortune of having a FineMolds example. Mine are of the MPC ilk, and still unbuilt. Happy New Year to you and your wife!

Ed

Thanks Ed and Happy New Year. I never had any of the MPC kits, so I can't vouch for their quality. These Finemolds kits are a dream to assemble; they are engineered so well that they fully snap into place. And the parts are molded and assembled i such a way that there are NO seams to fill. Really tremendous kits.

Excellent job Mark. Very cool!

And for the record I'm also a scale slave to 1:72... :D

Excellent! I'm thrilled to see another one of us here. Another friend of mine calls it the OTS: One True Scale. LOL!

Thanks for the compliments as well; they are very appreciated.

Excellent job Mark. Very cool!

And for the record I'm also a scale slave to 1:72... :D

Excellent! I'm thrilled to see another one of us here. Another friend of mine calls it the OTS: One True Scale. LOL!

Thanks for the compliments as well; they are very appreciated.

:smiley20: Up my way it's The Scale of Kings. LOL

Very nice.

What is this "finished a[nother] model" concept that you speak of?

--David

It's an amazing concept that happens when you get to the point where you look at your model and see that there's nothing left to install or paint or add to it. There comes a very momentary bit of confusion and denial at makes you look it over once again... just to be sure. Then there's a flood of relief and a sense of happiness and pride as you look it over and realize that it looks pretty darn good! This lasts as you place it lovingly on the shelf; still looking at it a while longer. Then you turn away and this feeling is rapidly replaced by a thrill of the hunt as you choose the next model to work on....

Scale of Kings! I like it!