Berlin Airlift C-47

bobmig

I've been researching some colour schemes for a possible decal sheet on Berlin Airlift C-47s, and I came across these photos. It's an aircraft that came down short of the Wiesbaden runway on a return trip from Berlin in bad weather in July 1948. I've discovered that the E.A.D. probably stands for European Air Depot (or Erding Air Depot, as it was later known), but am unsure about the colours of the arrow marking. If I had to guess, I would say blue and white… but I don't want to guess. I feel I've seen this marking illustrated in a book, but just can't recall where. Can anyone help? Oh... and if you have pics of other E.A.D. marked aircraft - even if not C-47s - it would be interesting to see them as well.

post-1844-0-95736600-1419829302_thumb.jpg

post-1844-0-49940700-1419829314_thumb.jpg

Google as not my friend.....after searching EAD, Berlin Airlift, and C-47 images, I had no-joy on finding any others besides the 2 you posted above! There does seem to be a preponderance of blue/white cheating/trimming for many ATC and MATS a/c, except for the one famous image showing a/c with that bright red "Z" down the sides. Perhaps someone else will have better luck!

GIL :smiley16:

Google as not my friend.....after searching EAD, Berlin Airlift, and C-47 images, I had no-joy on finding any others besides the 2 you posted above!

Thanks for trying, Gil. For my part, I would never ask without an exhaustive web search first!

Well hey, you may not want to have to "guess", but it'd be hard to PROVE you wrong without coming up with images no one seems able to find! Besides, in the end, it's just a model! I say build it to the best of your abilities and estimations.

GIL :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Would these be of help? Doesn't say EAD tho...

Sorry for the delay in replying, Kev. I appreciate the input, but I don't like to do markings based on museum or memorial examples or 'warbirds'. I find that often they're someone's less-than-accurate interpretation of the actual scheme... if it even existed! I'd rather use original photos of the actual birds. It is a neat scheme, though.

Bob