New Compressor

Gromit801

Thanks to some Xmas Amazon cards, I'm looking to get a new, silent compressor. Seems 95% of them are the same compressor, with different branding. Some of the reviews that concern me reference poorly fitting regulators or hoses. Anyone have experience with these? I'm considering the version with a tank.

imagejpg1_zpsb3dbf4de.jpg

Edited by Gromit801

Don't be misslead by the phrase "silent". Ain't no such thing. When its running, you'll hear it pumping (piston) or humming (diaphram). The best choice you can make for silence is a tank version. Once the tank has been brought to pressure, the compressor will stop (at least its supposed to). Then you can enjoy silence until the compressor needs to renew the pressure. Absolute silence can be achieved if you purchase or rent an oxygen tank and regulator from a local supplier. The tank (with no moving parts) will operate silently as long as there is pressure. Once the tank drops below your required pressure, you run it down to the supplier for a refill. You can find these things on Craigs list or on eBay, but I would rent one to make sure you like it.

As far as poorly fitting hoses and regulators go, the more you spend, the better quality, fitting parts you will get. In other words, don't scrimp on a compressor. Spend as much as you are comfortable with, maybe a little more. You won't regret it. Personally, since I build models for a living, I always buy the best quality tools.

You probably already know this stuff, but I wanted to make sure.

I too have long since moved to using a CO2 tank, but used electric compressors for a couple of decades til then. In my experience, the "fittings" that come with your compressor will probably be standard 1/4", and you should have no problems hooking up most any water trap (as pictured above), or finding quick disconnects for any 1/4' hose supplied with it. BUT, be aware that it seems almost EVERY airbrush manufacturer has their OWN size of hose that connects to the airbrush! So, be prepared to also get an adapter or two to make the connection from the airbrush hose to the compressor/water trap.

As for the connections themselves, some plumbers tape and new washers will generally solve any leaks once you get things properly tightened down. Hope this helps!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges