German luftwaffe uniform color

Joev259A

I have the Tamiya 1/16 scale German Luftwaffe ace pilot figure. They show Tamiya's XF-18 blue grey for the uniforms. Is there a comparable color in Testors or Humbrol? I'm an enamel person. Also, what about the life vest color? It shows a yellow, probably a light yellow. Thanks all.

You can usually email testors or humbrol ask them to match the color tell them the paint you are looking for is the tamiya brand and add the fx number and they will tell the name of the paint they have that matches or a close match it has always worked for me hopes this helps

In Model Master, I'd start with 1720 Intermediate Blue (FS 35164) with a little 1719 Insignia Blue added to deepen the shade.

For the vest, 1708 Insignia Yellow should fit the bill.

You'll probably need to adjust the colors using the color wheel to get your tones just right.

Humbrol 109 WWI Blue may be a better off the shelf blue for the uniforms.

I hope this is helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info. I actually have these colors "in stock!" Regarding the blue-- just add about 10% to deepen it a bit?

Start there and play with it. Based on the bigger scale maybe 20-25%

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the intermediate blue as the "major color," and the insignia blue as the 25% color. That came out as a light blue. I then used the insignia blue as the major color, and added some flat sea blue (about 20%), and that combination came out real nice. When looking at the images of Luftwaffe uniforms, I didn't realize there are other types-- mainly in the grey schemes. I'm staying with the blue-- it has more color. Thanks for the help.

:gray-plane:

• Like 1