Special Hobby He-115B

Dick Montgomery

In 48th scale, this kit challenged my skill set just a bit, but in the end turned into a fun build with a finished model that isn't too bad.
The "water" is actually a piece of plastic with a very slight wavy texture. It was originally a light cover but I can't imagine who would want to use it as such with that blue color. Anyway, I cut two holes in it for the pontoons. When the model was ready for mounting on the base I filled the two holes with Liquitex Gel Medium and gently pushed the aircraft into position. At rest, the He-115 was a bit tail-heavy so there is a noticeable slant to it's orientation.
That white gunk you see under the pontoons is the Gel Medium that has yet to dry out. It will dry clear and "pick up" the coloring painted on the wood base before the blue plastic was attached. As the aircraft settled into place I gently removed the gel that was being squeezed up and out....I figure it will be a week or two before the gel dries completely.He-115RightBack.jpg

He-115RightFrtHigh.jpg

• Like 1

Sure does John! Also eliminates the whole "not sitting level on its gear" complaint.

Had that kit. Got the heebie jeebies about it and sold it. Some times I think I should have tackled it. Then I lay down and the urge to reaquire goes away. Too many like it in the stash already.

That's a fantastic build. Very well done.

Rick L.

Thanks Rick. Those "heebie jeebies" you were feeling? .... not without cause.

Thanks Oleg....and Clare, the Gel Medium continues to dry out and is now about 50% "clear".

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good Dick.

I have the 72nd kit to build sometime. Found some funky Norwegian markings for it so will be trying them out sometime.

Would love to find some of that wavy plastic as it makes decent looking water. Buddy here in SLC used it or a Calypso dio many years ago.

The water is 3/16" plastic that I bought at the local Plastic Supply store in San Antonio. I bought it from their scrap table which is priced a $1 a lb. This piece, therefore, was cheap.

I routed out a piece of 3/4" plywood to allow the "water" is be level with the edge of the wood base. I used some acrylic artist paints to generate some shadowing in the routed out areas. The deeper the routing, the darker green I used. It gives the "water" depth and definition, but not too much.

Holes were cut into the plastic sheet to allow the aircraft to "sink" into the water at an angle that I saw in several images during some research. I then used some Gel Medium to fill the pontoon holes and gently but firmly pushed the aircraft into the holes when it was time to mount it to the base. It took several weeks for the gel to dry and become clear, but its done now. I need to add some additional gel because I've noticed some depressions under the pontoon tips that shouldn't be there. Eventually I'll add some sort of line or cord from the tip of a pontoon to a "bobber" and then run a "chain" from the bobber to an imaginary point off-base to simulate a tie down point..

It's all fun and thanks for the compliments. The model was a bit of a challenge and I'm pleased with the results.By the way, there is absolutely no decal silvering on this model. That's because there are no decals. Everything is airbrushed. Read the review of this Special Hobby kit....I mentioned the source of the mask in the review.

Nice work Dick - Thanks for posting.
I have always liked the look of the 115 (but not brave enough to pick up this kit!)