Airshow Minor Mishap

ghodges

I attended a very nice airshow this morning. For the first time in recent meory there were a better selection of Warbirds, including at least 4 Mustangs, an F4U-5N, F-86F, 2 T-28B's, 2 FM-2's, an A1E Skyraider, and a C-47. I took a lot of pics and will be submitting 4 walkarounds to IPMSUSA (T-28, P-3, FM-2, Stearman).

While I was talking to the T-28 pilot we heard a hiissssssssss behind us.........following the sound, we found that the the left tire on the A1E Skyraider was leaking! Seems the valve stem gave out and the tire slowly bled down til flat. I walked on down the flight line and returned an hour later just as they removed the tire.

100_1973.jpg

So where do you get a Skyraider tire on a Sunday afternoon? You use one of your T-28's to go get one!

100_1979.jpg

100_1981.jpg

Above, you can see them almost ready to crank it up and go. The pilot said it'd bejust a couple of hours to get there, repair the A1E tire, and fly it back; all in time for the formation flight at the end of the show. Anyway, I got to see the Trojan in flight for the first time in years; and it made for a more interesting day. Cheers!

GIL :smiley16:

I really need to get to an airshow. Have to check the schedules. The best one close to me is Point Mugu NAS. I love that show. The flight line is close so when the jets take off its loud! Last time there saw the F-22 and it was mind blowing. Where was this show Gil?

Chris

The air show was at Cecil Field on the west side of Jacksonville, FL. It's used to be the east coast RAG training base back in the 60-70's; but was closed down about 15yrs ago :smiley13: . It's now a "commercial (Fed-Ex, UPS, etc.) field.

I think I included the Skyraider pics on the CD I sent to Mike this morning. I know I meant to, I just can't remember if I actually copied them onto the disc or not. MIke will let me know once he checks it out. Got some good close-ups of the open canopy mechanisms......

Both of the FM-2's were SWEET! Wish I could've stuck around long enought to see them fly, but couldn't. I took pics of both, if only to show minor differences between them such as the paint on the landing gear, the 2 different exaust set-ups, and NMF panels in the exaust area on the one. Thanks for sending the Wildcat to Jax!

• 1 month later...

I attended a very nice airshow this morning. For the first time in recent meory there were a better selection of Warbirds, including at least 4 Mustangs, an F4U-5N, F-86F, 2 T-28B's, 2 FM-2's, an A1E Skyraider, and a C-47. I took a lot of pics and will be submitting 4 walkarounds to IPMSUSA (T-28, P-3, FM-2, Stearman).

100_1973.jpg

Has to be Florida, even the aircraft are on blocks in the yard. :smiley24:

Wayne :smiley23:

Great Pics!. :smiley17:

I went to an airshow near us back in April. There was an A1, Mig, T28's, C47, AT11's, P40, A10, T6's, and others. Was the second time at this one, enjoyed it a lot. Hope to go to the one in Galveston,TX in November. The Skyraider did not fly this year, but last year it did. That was a first for me. That is a really big single engine plane. Loved the A10/P47 Freedom Flight flybys.

:smiley16: