Old Decal Silvering

tomk

I have old military models that the decals show silvering. Is there anyway to fix this?

I now put down gloss first and than dull coat.

thanks...tomk

Hello Tom,

- Tough problem. I do not believe there is a simple and definitive correction that is a guaranted fix for this. However, I would try the following: Assuming the models with the silvered decals do not have a coating (flat or gloss) over the decals (because that would have sealed them and that basically means there is no fix) I would carefully apply Future floor wax along the edges of the decals with a small paint brush and see if it will "wick" up under the decals. Once this dries it will not only seal the decal but it will also dry clear and replace the minute air gaps (the silvering) between the decals and the model. Also, once it has dried and you are happy with the finish, you can covering it with a flat coat if it is needed.

- It might help to gently poke holes in areas of the silvering with a pin before applying the Future. Once you are done with the application you can use Windex to clean out the brush. Just be sure to do that before the Future dries. If you miss cleaning the brush and the Future dries on it, try using Lacquer thinner to clean the brush.

- This Future stuff, if you do not know what it is, is an acrylic based liquid product that is used to coat/cover floors. It can usually be bought in super markets or supply stores that sell cleaning supplies. It has many applications for models, including being used as a gloss coat or sealer and much more. It can be brushed or airbrushed and I have not had an occasion where I needed to thin it. I use it straight out of the bottle. Much of its use has been covered on this forum but if you have more questions about using it, I would recommend opening another separate thread to cover it.

- It is very possible that another member might have a better idea for you. Best of luck with the old decals.

One more note: If you apply a thick layer of Future and you want that to stay as it is, it may fog up. That is OK. If it fogs up, as it dries it will turn clear again. Good luck.

Weedeater is correct in that if there is any sort of clear coat over the decals, then the only fix is what he recommends with the Future or in removing the decals and the only way to do that at this point is sanding and that runs the risk of damaging the paint, which means re-painting. However, if there is no clear coat, I'd say start with your normal decal solvent and soak the decal until its soft. Keep the model in a plane where the decal is laying horizontal. That, of course, means you can only do the decals one plane at a time. (Not air plane, surface type plane.) Get a cooton swab and dampen it with the solution and when it's soft, start pushing the decal down over the detail. Work easily and gradually, It may take several applications and 'pushes" with the swab. Try rolling the swab over the decal to roll it down as well. If the solution doesn't soften the decal, work your way up the solution chain with gradually more aggressive solutions repeating the process each time.

As to removing the decal, sometimes its not necessary to get it all off. If you have another set of identical decals, it may be possible to place them over the old ones. Get some 600 grit wet/dry sand paper, wet it and then in circular motions gently sand the decal and only the decal. It will thin gradually and possible flake off in some spots. Try to feather in the edges so they blend in with the surface. Work gently and slowly to avoid damaging the paint. Then, when you've got ass much off as you are going to get, gloss coat the surface and put on your new decal right over the old one. That's a lot of work for dubious results, but short of re-doing the whole model, may be your only course of action.