AMT 57 Chrysler 300c rebuild ...sort of

Bubbajoe

here is my next build or rather a rebuild of sorts. this is from AMT and i think it was either my 2nd or 3rd build after taking up the hobby again. the build was going ok except for the paint. it wasn't bad for my 3rd build but it wasn't great. i became very frustrated with it and packed it up and put it in the closet. it has sat there for almost a year and a half. i took it out a couple of weeks ago and have been contemplating what to do with it ....so here it is, i'm turning it into a junker. it is taking me much longer to do than i thought it would. you would figure turning a car into a rust bucket would be easy but in fact its is just as difficult to make a convincing junker as it is to produce a show car. i'm trying my hand also many new technics and hoping it comes out halfway decent. this time i'm taking plenty of photos of the build in progress.... any comments ,tips and or criticism would be greatly appreciated .thanks

here goes

the paint wasn't bad but i just wasn't satisfied with the way it was looking.if you look close you can just make out a white edge along the top of the rear window .its not a shadow after spending a year in the closet something was sitting onto of it and cut into the plastic. pretty much sealed it fate .

IMG_5060-1.jpg

i love doing interiors and dashes. just love the small details. i had just finished doing a dark wash over the seats

IMG_5055.jpg

and the engine was almost finished

IMG_5069.jpg

tires

IMG_5076.jpg

first thing i did was pull the tires apart and sand them all down and pull some spare parts from other builds to change them up

IMG_5079.jpg

then the fun part weathering ,rusting and creating a flat

IMG_5083.jpg

i reprimed the body with red primer, after scraping off and sanding about half of the molded chrome and drilling a few holes, trying to simulate that it was broken off at some time.,also i used the dremel to carve out behind the fender ,adding a few rust holes to the front .

IMG_5084.jpg

i started to age and rust the engine after taking off the valve covers and few other pieces

IMG_5091.jpg

here is the interior, i used tissue and white glue and pasted the tissue over the dash seats and rear deck to simulate a really beat up aged and cracked leather interior.pretty happy with the way this came out

IMG_5089-1.jpg

IMG_5087-1.jpg

IMG_5086-1.jpg

IMG_5088.jpg

IMG_5089.jpg

one last photo of my new toy....its nothing fancy ..picked it up at harbor freight .haven't put any paint down yet just played with it using water.

IMG_5092-1.jpgpretty happy to be finally have an airbrush i

can call my own

it's finished

IMG_5115.jpg

Edited by Bubbajoe

• 2 weeks later...

Joe, I love the build too! You've obviously put a lot of effort into it.

I don't know if it's the photos or not, but from my point of view, the contrast between the rusted spots on the car and the original paint is a little bit too stark. I've been asking myself why for a good hour before typing this and think it's that the rusted areas are perhaps too orange/red. Bear in mind, I've seen rusted out school buses, trucks, and cars in NE Michigan forests, so I have a preconception of how they look.

Please don't get me wrong. The overall effect is very well executed (I'm guessing primarily the salt technique?). If the rust color was toned down, a bit more varied, or perhaps more brown, the effect would be absolutely dead-on!

Once again, an execellent build!

Edited by RLFoster

Joe, I love the build too! You've obviously put a lot of effort into it.

I don't know if it's the photos or not, but from my point of view, the contrast between the rusted spots on the car and the original paint is a little bit too stark. I've been asking myself why for a good hour before typing this and think it's that the rusted areas are perhaps too orange/red. Bear in mind, I've seen rusted out school buses, trucks, and cars in NE Michigan forests, so I have a preconception of how they look.

Please don't get me wrong. The overall effect is very well executed (I'm guessing primarily the salt technique?). If the rust color was toned down, a bit more varied, or perhaps more brown, the effect would be absolutely dead-on!

Once again, an execellent build!

Robert.your absolutely right, after washing the salt off i started applying pigments and washes but i felt it was a bit mono tone in color and lacked depth. since posting the photos i picked up a few more shades of paint and washes and plan on going back and working on it . thank you very much for the feedback . i'm a new modeler and receiving an honest critique is very much appreciated .thank you again for the help[