1/700 USS Louisiana SSBN

KennyLoup

Hey guys. I know I don't post here often but here is my latest completed build, the ballistic missile sub USS Louisiana. I was cleaning up the studio the other day and saw her sitting there, painted and ready for her base so I decided to finish her up. The water is air dry clay and the dolphins were carved from styrene rod. Enjoy.

Louisiana10_zpsbdee6a6d.jpg

Louisiana9_zps0dbca31a.jpg

Louisiana8_zpsb2b2b1f6.jpg

There were/are 52 ships named after places in Louisiana. I am planning to build as many as I can in 1/700.

SSBN 743 Louisiana, last of the 18 Ohio Class ballistic missile submarines. She displaces 18,750 tons submerged; has a length of 560 feet; has a beam of 42 feet; has a speed of 20+ knots submerged; has a power plant of 1 nuclear reactor, steam-driven turbine, 1 shaft; has armament consisting of 24 tubes for D5 Trident missiles, 4 torpedo tubes for Mk48 torpedoes; has a complement of 15 officers, 140 enlisted; and was built by General Dynamics' Electric Boat. She was commissioned in September 1997. She is designed to operate for 15 or more years between major overhauls.

On average, the sub spends 77 days at sea followed by 35 days in port for maintenance. She has two crews, Blue and Gold, which alternate manning the sub while on patrol. This maximizes the SSBN's strategic availability, reduces the number of subs required to meet strategic requirements and allows for proper crew training, readiness, and morale. Normally five SSBNs are at sea at any given time. Thanks to Seapower magazine for this information.

Ed

• Like 1