OMG - Small Parts is "gone" !!

JohnRatzenberger

When the tubes of brass rod I bought a number of years ago, started to get empty, I went looking for Small Parts to order more and ended up on Amazon Supply, which a little research revealed that Amazon bought 'em out.

OK, looking for .012", .020", .032" (these are the 36" long rods, several to a tube BTW).

.012" which I really need (down to my last 36" rod), is out of stock.

.020" which I will need (down to maybe two rods) isn't even listed.

.032" but I don't really need it by itself.

So has anyone got a source for this stuff other than Small Parts / Amazon ?

TIA

Model RR people use it as well. My local shop stocks it, which means if they don't have it on hand they can order it.

You want I should look?

Small parts is actually still there, they are just out. I recently purchased a bunch of hypodermic tubing and it is shipped the same way is use to come in the clear plastic tubes. They have most of the stuff they always did. Since I got into machinining my own stuff I use McMaster Carr for a lot of other stuff and found your .020 brass wire. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-red-metal-rods/=ud467c It is quite a lot less expensive but it comes in spools so you will have to straighten it. That is really easy. Just grab both ends with pliers and pull. It will get straight in a hurry. I also use MSC for a lot of stuff. http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/Raw-Materials/Metals/Brass?navid=12101826 You may also find them interesting. The shipping on all of these is a bit expensive, but it is next day delivery on everything. Both are easy to deal with and provide a lot of options though neither had your .012 wire.

By the way, I have stayed away from K&S. Compared to the industrial suppliers, there stuff is just stupid expensive. This is one of those cases where you are paying a bunch for the packaging and the in store displays. Having used K&S I find there quality is a bit off from the industrial stuff as well. Annealing their brass sheet really shows off the difference. Turning their brass also is a real pain compared to the industrial quality stuff.

Edited by PeteJ

• 2 months later...

Well, Small Parts / Amazon Supply seems to work. After checking in once a week or so, I found the 0.12" in stock and ordered enough to have a few to take to my grave.

I did find some RR shops, like Walthers, carry some - again, iffy what they have when. Like Pete, I avoid overpriced K&S.