Heading to Telford next week!

Neal

I missed the IPMS USA junket to Scale Model World at Telford, but I am heading off to witness it firsthand next week! I am super excited, as I have wanted to go since the 1970s. I am traveling with a model buddy and we are on our own, so that means we can dilly-dally to our hearts content when we go to the museums (at least until they kick us out at closing).

Anyway, for those in the know, are there any nuggets of wisdom you can share regarding England/Telford?

Here's a short of list of things I have been told so far:

- England is cold and wet.

- The surface trains are less reliable than the subways (tube).

- Don't ask for iced tea, unless you want the waitress to laugh at you.

- Soda is sometimes served without ice either.

- The proportion of competition models pales to the SIG displays.

- You won't have enough time to go through all the vendors.

- Hannants moves most of their walk-in store to Telford, so don't bother with the store itself during SMW.

Neal,

If you give me your email, I can send you a copy of the pre-tour newsletter I use to do for the Scale Modeling Tours. It has lots of hints and tips about traveling "over there" and a list of military interest stuff in London. I don't know what your mode of travel will be when you get there or your itinerary, but I've been over many times and have hit a number of sites around the country and would be glad to share what I know.

One thing. Make sure you have your current IPMS NATIONAL NOT LOCAL CHAPTER, membership card with you. It will get you in free. If not, you'll have to pay like all the other non-members.

Ron

PS: i'm going again this year. i always look forward to it.

Wet - probably. Cold - probably not too different from Columbus (unless you head up North).

- Hannants moves most of their walk-in store to Telford, so don't bother with the store itself during SMW.

Wet - probably. Cold - probably not too different from Columbus (unless you head up North).

All true, except the iced tea. They know Yanks want it and will accommodate us most places, if you want sweet tea, grab the sugar.

I usually fly into Manchester vice London, as the drive is shorter and the lines at Customs are usually less than 15 min. Last year it took us 45 min to get to the podium at Heathrow.

Petrol is about 125/litre or $7.63/gal at today's exchange rate.

Don't get cash at the airport if you can avoid it. If you have a debit card my experience has been that you can get cash at an ATM for much less. You can even get cash back at most grocery stores and such. Be sure to tell your bank you're going to the UK so they don't lock you out of your acct.

If you rent a car, get an automatic. I found it almost impossible to shift with my left hand! A turbodiesel can save you fuel money if they offer it as a free upgrade. Diesel is $7.86/gal but the economy is usually above 40mpg. Don't fall for the AAA "International Drivers License" - the UK recognizes a US License.

Ron is right about the IPMS/USA card, but he didn't mention there is a separate, far-shorter line for IPMS members. Just go past the line that stretches the length of the entire hall and you might be 10th or 20th in line!

If you have friends in other national branches, email them before hand and ask what you can bring to the Int'l Chapters area - there is always a ton of food, drink, and booze to be had buffet style. Don't be rude and arrive with nothing like I did last year. (I still blame Debbi for making me forget!! :smiley16: )

Most of all, take a good camera. You'll need extra data cards for all the photos you will end up taking. Most "heritage sites" outside of the bigger towns (castles and the such) close for the winter Nov 1st. If you'll be there the evening of Wed the 5th, be sure to take in the fireworks and bonfires.

HAVE A BLAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wish I could go again this year, maybe next)

Oh, as for the weather, last year we were there for 10 days. It rained for 3 and was warm for November, highs in lower 20s (Celsius) on the sunny days and upper teens on the rainy days. I have been to the show when it was almost 30 and when there was snow on the ground and the temps didn't get above 10. Mid teens is normal, about 50% chance of rain for the month IIRC

Ron - Thanks for the info, PM inbound! I wasn't aware of the IPMS card thing.

Bobmig - I'm from Hawaii, so anything below 70 F is cold! I think the lowest daytime temperature I have experienced was around 52 F. Yeah, I know, we're bad weather sissies. Even the hurricanes are milder here compared to the east coast. Did you guys see our hurricane-smashing volcano in action when Iselle dropped by? Gosh, somebody better get this to the Sci-Fi Channel - "Hurrcane vs Volcano!"

Jcorley - We are going to use public transportation all the way, so we don't have to fret about odd stick shift location and right hand drive. (There was this woman with Indian embassy plates driving a huge Range Rover on the wrong side of the street by my office - scary!)

My buddy is a huge camera guy and he takes way better photos than I do, so I think photo coverage for the trip has been taken care of.

A friend who has been to SMW before also advised me to bring some local food to share, as we know the folks from the Hans Grade Berlin club. I won't be bringing things seen on "Man vs Food" though; heck most of the stuff from the Hawaii episode were super nasty, and probably wouldn't clear TSA & customs anyway!