The Production Line

wedfactory

I like this! I admire people who use some elbow grease instead of just buying the "latest and greatest" release. I look forward to seeing all of the tricks you use to bring it up to date!

GIL :smiley16:

I also have the Kitty Hawk model sitting in my stash, but want to finish this one first.

You need to park that seaplane in some water. Excellent looking build.

Great job.

That F-111 is a real woof. I built it long ago and dropped the flaps and slats. Did you deepen the wonderfully flat main landing gear well?

Good luck!

Bill

Edited by WildBill50

You're giving Duke a run for his money! I've heard nothing good about the B-2 kit, except that it looks cool if and when you get it built. Your results belie the work you do to get there!

GIL :smiley16:

I was given the call sign "wedfactory" at another forum. I started at that forum in 2008 and I was building models in mass. The guys gave me a hard time about running a factory. So I earned the wedfactory name there. Over the last several years my production slowed to a trickle. Recently the modeling bug has hit me again and the "factory floor" is ramping back up.

Now that B-2, you are correct, nothing good is written about the kit anywhere. Basically you build the kit for three reasons, 1: you don't know any better, 2: you have nothing else in your stash, and 3: you are in dire need of being committed. Unfortunately for me 1 and 2 do not apply.

I was not familiar with the Airfix 1/72 F-111A, but I do have copies of the Revell kits. The two kits are:

1/72 F-111 Tactical Fighter (TFX) Kit # H-208 (instructions copyright 1966 and box 1969)--can be built as USAF F-111A or U.S. Navy F-111B.

1/72 F-111A Tactical Fighter Kit #H-4303 (instructions and box copyright 1979)--Navy F-111B parts gated off the mold.

The F-111B was cancelled in reality, but not before Revell had a kit with the short nose cone and extended wing tips for the Navy version. Build it as a What-If concept [until Defense Secretary Robert NcNamara crushed it]. Microscale produced Sheet 72-132 for all the versions: F-111A, F-111B, F-111E, & FB-111A. There are 4 identical instrument panel decals on the sheet in case you do not want to paint and detail the kit's raised panel details.

The Revell kit was engineered at a time when features on a model needed to work. So, what works on this kit?

1. Nose and main landing gear rotate and retract, with doors opening and closing and wheels rotating.

2. Nose cone can be removed to expose radar dish.

3. Horizontal stabilizers move.

4. Escape capsule (cockpit) can be removed [there are two pilots in that cockpit].

5. Speed brakes work.

6. Wings swing in/out.

Remember, all this is in 1/72 scale, not 1/48 or 1/32.

Ed

Now that is awesome! Very nicely done and very believable. I like it. Well done on the Dornier as well. You make everything look so outstanding and so easy.

I also have a B-2 in the stash. I do need to start mine and get it done to replace the one that had gotten stolen back in 2008. It's been far too long.

I also got tagged as Maddog Manufacturing myself so I know what you mean. Ever since then I've had all my WIP Threads labeled that way.