Fokker D.VII recovers from a hard landing

Dick Montgomery

Back in February, 2014 I was preparing to pack the WNW DVII for a competition when it suffered a "hard landing". The upper wing came off, the undercarriage separated from the fuselage and some of the braces and struts either broke off at the base of the locating pins or snapped into two parts. At the time I didn't even stop to survey the damage thinking that it was a total loss. Recently Scale Aircraft Conversions came out with a set of struts and braces for the D.VII and I am happy to report that the Fokker is airworthy, more or less, once again, thanks to this new SAC release. It will not be going to any contests in the future but it is back in one piece and looks very good for a model that was almost landfill material. The pile of parts is some indicator as to where the repair process began, and the completed repairs are difficult to spot unless one has some knowledge of the WNW kit. There are some fiddly bits that have yet to be reattached such as the gunsight and a machine gun, and there are some bits of rigging that need to be added but I'm pleased to see this really nice kit back in the display case.

001-TheDamage-small.jpg

006-RepairsComplete-small.jpg

Edited by Dick Montgomery

Thanks! Didn't have much of a reaction to the damage....didn't inspect it, didn't look at it until the SAC parts became available. I got lucky though.....the fuselage, engine, prop, and interior suffered no damage.