M4 Sherman "Fury" from the movie

jcorley

I've been waiting for this movie all year, and will go see it this weekend.

My question is simple: is this configuration valid for the war in the Spring of 1945 and why arent the models out yet?!

The tank is an M4E8 HVSS with the muzzle brake, and all of that can be made from various kits and aftermarket, but is there a single kit to get the movie config?

James, I think you can find the kit in the same configuration that you seek .The first Dragon kits in the red box has a Sherman with the 76 mm cannon and with a little cutting the Easy 8 running gear. I think I may still have one. From what I remember take that for what's it worth that configuration was used in late '44 thru the end of the war and beyond with various countries.

I hope this helps.

Ronbo, Head Bottle Washer.

James,

I think it is actually a M4A3E8 which might help in your search. Tasca kit 35024 will yield you the correct kit but decals will need to come from the spares. All the other M4A3E8 kits on the market use T80 or T66 track which would mean finding a set of T84 track.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=aef+1%2F35&_sop=10&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=M4a3e8+1%2F35&_sacat=0

James,

I think it is actually a M4A3E8 which might help in your search. Tasca kit 35024 will yield you the correct kit but decals will need to come from the spares. All the other M4A3E8 kits on the market use T80 or T66 track which would mean finding a set of T84 track.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=aef+1%2F35&_sop=10&_from=R40&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=M4a3e8+1%2F35&_sacat=0

The actual tank in the film is a diesel powered M4A2E8. Those tanks were provided to our allies after WW2 while we went with the M26/46 as our main tank. The tank is supposed to represent an M4A3E8, but has post war rubber tracks instead of the steel chevron type used during the push into Germany.

I've been waiting for this movie all year, and will go see it this weekend.

My question is simple: is this configuration valid for the war in the Spring of 1945 and why arent the models out yet?!

The tank is an M4E8 HVSS with the muzzle brake, and all of that can be made from various kits and aftermarket, but is there a single kit to get the movie config?

To represent the actual tank from the movie, the best option would be the Academy M4A2 Russian Army version: http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/academy/acd13010.htm

You'd need to add HVSS with the proper style track.

But there's also an excellent Tasca M4A3E8 that would represent what the tank is supposed to be.

This gets even better. Looks like the "Star" couldn't finish the movie....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47208/message/1413373122/M4a3e8+from+%26quot%3B+Fury%26quot%3B

I saw the picture of "Fury" taken back in 2009 and the T-84 track looked almost new. I saw the vehicle after filming and it looked almost like it was running on wide T-51 track.

Part of what I was asking is why somebody didn't get a licensing agreement and have these on the market. I've known about the movie for well over a year, so it can't be because it "snuck up" on them. Even if it was a chinese company that wouldn't really care about such "petty" issues as licenses...

I guess my Tamiya M45A3E8 will just have to be "close enough" if I decide to go ahead then.
Thanks guys.

Part of what I was asking is why somebody didn't get a licensing agreement and have these on the market. I've known about the movie for well over a year, so it can't be because it "snuck up" on them. Even if it was a chinese company that wouldn't really care about such "petty" issues as licenses...

I guess my Tamiya M45A3E8 will just have to be "close enough" if I decide to go ahead then.

Thanks guys.

Based on discussion on Missing Lynx, it looks like AFV Club reissued the Skybow Tiger I and borrowed the Hobby Boss M4A3E8 (both in 1/48 scale) and are selling them as a "Fury" set as well as their 1/35 scale Tiger (and an unidentified M4A3E8) shown in Mark's photo. I'd venture a guess that it is the Tasca Sherman.

m4a3e8.jpg

Thanks guys.

Get the Tasca/Tamiya M4A3E8 Sherman Easy Eight. It even has markings for a tank from the 66th Tank Battalion which is the battalion from the 2nd Armored Division marked on the hull in the movie.

Then post some pictures on our FB page!

The movie is simply awesome!

Edited by RobMorales

I've always like the Hasegawa Sherman. I know there is a resin update set for it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-72-M4A3E8-Up-Grade-Conversion-for-Hasegawa-Kit-/251687370444?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item3a99bc7ecc

But the Hobby Boss M4A3E8 is rather inexpensive as well. A pretty decent kit that only runs around $18-20.

Dragon has the only M4A3E8 in my scale: 1/72. The Hasegawa kit actually scales out to about 1/64th scale; close, but no cigar. I know, as I've built one already and it dwarfs all my Dragon 1/72 scale Shermans. The Dragon kit also has far better details too.

Dragon has the only M4A3E8 in my scale: 1/72. The Hasegawa kit actually scales out to about 1/64th scale; close, but no cigar. I know, as I've built one already and it dwarfs all my Dragon 1/72 scale Shermans. The Dragon kit also has far better details too.

Trumpeter does an M4A3E8 in both the WW2 and Korean War versions (different tracks). I have the tiger faced Korean War version, but according to On The Way!, it is the exact same kit as the WW2 version with a different style of vinyl tracks and of course, decals.

UM makes an M4A3E8 as well. I have not seen it in the flesh, but I do have the UM M4 (105) HVSS and it is the exact same hull sprues as the M4A3E8 with a different turret sprue. UM deals with the varying engine decks by having them as an insert that you chose from the sprue, either the M4, M4A2 or M4A3. Buying this kit could allow you to build 'FURY' as either the M4A3E8 it is supposed to be or the M4A2E8 is really is.

Edited by RGronovius