F-104 design study

wedfactory

I was watching a documentary on the F-104 on TV when I saw this picture...

F--104withv-tail.png

It was a design study for the F-104 fighter by Lockheed. I thought this would be a neat model to build.

I started this idea once before but had used a Lindburg kit for the base model. Why do I do stupid stuff like that. Lindburg kits are :hush:

So I have now attached this model once again using a Monogram model as the base. And as with Monogram kits the fit is ... OK, but that does mean sanding seams flat and wiping out the surrounding raised panel lines. So I now have to rescribe and rivet the kit. Here is where I am at right now...

DSC_0773.jpg

DSC_0775.jpg

DSC_0778.jpg

and here is a before and after on the upper wing..

DSC_0777.jpg

DSC_0776.jpg

That is really interesting looking. Are the tails the same size as the wings? It looks that way from that picture.

I'm looking in on this one with interest. Love it.

Bill

Interesting study. I think I understand why this form was abandoned. This aircraft was subject to extreme issues with what was referred to as inertia coupling. The large axial flow turbine engine had a very large mass on the centerline of the aircraft rotating at very high rpm's. This created very serious gyroscopic effects. In other words, if the pilot raised the nose aggressively as in air to air combat, this would induce a significant yaw moment. So any movement deflecting the aircraft from the roll axis would result in a movement at 90 degrees to the intended movement. At high speeds this could get very dangerous very quickly, thus large vertical and horizontal stabilizers became important.

Still a very nice look. Kind of a super Bonanza type of thing.

Edited by PeteJ