Spitfire Mk.Vb by Hase in 1/48th, an OOB joy!

Dick Montgomery

My favorite way to build models, an OOB Spitfire just finished today. This is the 8th in a series of Spitfires I've completed over the last 18 months, all OOB and all in 1/48th. I've learned much from this effort and have noticed a distinct improvement in my airbrushing....still working on my decaling skills, or lack thereof, but regardless, it's been a fun process to crank out the 8 Spitfires.

http://s192.photobucket.com/user/dmontgomery_photo/library/Completions%202014/Spitfire%20Mk%20Vb%20by%20Hasegawa

will take you to a Photobucket album.... and here's a shot of the completed Spitfire.

SpitfireMkVbHasegawa910448thlftfrt.jpg

• Like 1

I did the surgery on the elevators, so there goes the OOB definition. Oh well. It's never bothered me, or changed the outcome of entering contests, when I have to take what is essentially an OOB and put it in with non-OOB entries. Winning an award has not held that much significance for me. I enjoy the participation aspect, and also its a good way to support the host club.

I use a saw from UMM to do such "operations" on models and it just doesn't take long to do little things like repositioning the elevators.

One of these days I'll have to poke Mark in the ribs and do some armor.....not that day is not today.

Yessir, some have elevators and rudder molded as separate parts and that is preferable. Research indicates that shortly after a Spitfire shuts down the motor, the hydraulic system looses pressure, and the elevators droop. I began to model this effect early on in my Spitfire series and did some surgery on a few of the kits to achieve this effect.

One can be "accurate" and "authentic" by leaving them in a neutral position just as well as one can achieve by removing them and drooping them. In short, whatever floats your boat.....er....I mean....makes your airplane fly.

Another one bites the dust!!!! Most Excellent work Dick!!!!

Thanks Mark!

Superb Supermarine! You certainly do have skill there. And having fun is a major bonus. Well done!

I did not know Spitfires had hydraulic controls. Then again, I don't know one mark from another. Never been my area I guess. I'll have to change that.

Rick L.

Well, the elevator droop had something to do with some system being shut down upon turning off the motor......at least I think it was hydraulics or something similar. I'd not an expert on the subject but that's the direction my "research" led.

Regardless, I can pretty much mask that camo pattern off PDQ.