GROUP BUILD: So much owed by so many to so few.

Guest PetrolGator

Guest PetrolGator

I loved this idea (thanks to VonL.)

Our first group build will be a personal one.

Everyone has a personal hero, friend, or someone who's story has impacted them in a meaningful way. For this group build, participators will choose a subject that is related to or held in some esteem by that person (or persons.) Anything goes so long as it has the emotional or physical connection to that person.

For aircraft folks, a favored fighter piloted in the Pacific would be an option.

For armor builders, the same.

For automotive, perhaps a car that was a mutual project when they were a kid?

For ship guys, the hero's boat that where he fought off numerous kamakaze attacks or stood vigilant while Japanese cruisers landed shells around him at Leyte.

For dioramas, well, you could have all of the above.

Sci fi may be more challenging, but I'm sure a friend or mentor had a love for Buck Rogers or something of the sort.

This group build will begin on October 1st and go through April 1st. This should be plenty of time for most to finish their work.

Rules: Few, if any. Model subject, detail, etc is up to the builder. Final models will be displayed and polled for the best.

Please list, if you can, why this subject is important to you. Personal story is everything in this build.

List of builds/participants:

• USS San Francisco: Christopher Martens (I keep flipping here. SO many good options...)
  • Rockets of Awesome: Jim Deck
  • YF-12: Warren Dickerson
  • TBA: Bob Liebman
  • Cactus Air Force Wildcat: Gil
  • Something, maybe: John R, late.
  • F-102 Case XX: Mark Aldrich
  • Revell Landing Module: Joe Sarnie
  • Javelin: William Michie

Guest PetrolGator

For me, I'm leaning a few ways:

1/700 USS Oklahoma: My best friend's grandfather (who was pretty much the closest thing I had to one) served on her and was aboard on December 7th. His story of that day (and of the war) helps light my interest in history.

1/350 USS Johnston: Based off the POS Trumpeter kit. This would be a VERY challenging build, but would honor a man that I consider a personal hero: Ernest E. Evans

Apollo 11: I started in Aerospace and my heart still remains there. Neil Armstrong's death affected me in ways I could not begin to expect. I have little experience with these sort of models, so entering uncharted territory may be somewhat poetic.

1/350 IJN Yahagi: I have unending respect for Cpt. Tameichi Hara and think we should count ourselves lucky Japan didn't have more like him. Brilliant commander and a wonderful writer.

Apollo 11: I started in Aerospace and my heart still remains there. Neil Armstrong's death affected me in ways I could not begin to expect. I have little experience with these sort of models, so entering uncharted territory may be somewhat poetic.

If you want to do something with a Neil Armstrong theme that you don't see very often, how about Gemini 8, with the capsule just about to dock with the Agena target vehicle and title it "about to hit the fan!". I think the 1/48 Revell Mercury/Gemini capsules were just reissued, and RealSpace has an Agena. Or if you really want a "big" project, do it in 1/24!

On a side note, it would be cool if people posted the story behind whatever made them pick a particular subject; the history behind some models is often fascinating.

Don

I have a great deal of respect for all the work Kelly Johnson did. The Electra airliner (major renovations to the design after he joined Lockheed), The P-38, P-80, F-104, U-2 , and SR-71. Quite the stable of designs. Most designers would have been happy with just one of those aircraft in their protfolio. I have always been inthralled with the 71. An aircraft desinged before cad design on slide rules! He said that he felt the airforce bought the wrong version. They should have bought the YF-12. Actually the Air Force order 102 of them, but congress cut them from the budget. So for this built I have a 1/48 scale YF-12 I will toss into this build.

Edited by wedfactory

Guest PetrolGator

If you want to do something with a Neil Armstrong theme that you don't see very often, how about Gemini 8, with the capsule just about to dock with the Agena target vehicle and title it "about to hit the fan!". I think the 1/48 Revell Mercury/Gemini capsules were just reissued, and RealSpace has an Agena. Or if you really want a "big" project, do it in 1/24!

On a side note, it would be cool if people posted the story behind whatever made them pick a particular subject; the history behind some models is often fascinating.

Don

It is a good idea to note that. Thanks. I updated the main screen. :)

My heroes have always been crewdawgs. Lessee...

- Dad's Buckley class DE (fat chance of finishing that by MAR, however)

- Anigrand's big C-124 (same time issue as above)

- Two possibilities each for the C-7 Caribou and F6F Hellcat

- TBF Avenger

- Classic Cold War F-15C

+ ???

lotsa cool options here!

Well, this will be difficult for me. I have already built three models for two people whom I have greatly admired; both are still alive too; so far.

One was the main Project Manager for the F-102 and F-106 fighter development team. He was the prime mover for getting these aircraft in production. He had asked me for some models to build of these aircraft, but when he realized how difficult they would be for him, he asked me to build them. He is thrilled with them and keeps them prominently displayed in his home.

The other was a gift for someone I built for them unbeknownst to them, until I gave it to them just before Christmas. She was a Navy Nurse in WWII whose hospital ship arrived at Pearl Harbor within hours of the last attack wave leaving. I found a model of a hospital ship and built it up, mounted it on a base and gave it to her. She was so thrilled, and every time she sees me, she always tells me how she keeps her ship prominently displayed on her dining room table where she can see it every day.

One other one is a model of the AC-130 that I built in honor of my father way back when. Unfortunately, I had lost the decals many decades ago so it is still unfinished; despite being painted in the same pattern as my father's plane. I never gave it to him, but he has seen it and is pleased that I have a model of his aircraft hanging from my ceiling.

As for any other personal hero; I cannot yet think of anyone else. Maybe someone will come to mind. Otherwise, if I can find another model of an AC-130H in 1/72 scale that contains decals for tail no. -600, I can re-build it far better than the one I built many decades ago; thus truly honoring my father's service in the 'Nam.

Throw my hat in! Not sure if I will make the deadline but I will try. My Dad is my HERO! He is the one that got me hooked on model building! It has been the one constant in my life. Through all the trials and tribulations....there has ALWAYS been modeling. I will never be able to repay him for that one simple joy! When Meng released their F-102 Case XX it was offered up as a review and I had planned to build it as the camo version that my Dad had crewed on in Thailand. However, being 1/72 (way out of my comfort zone) and having a MAJOR wing to fuselage issue(might have been operator headspacing), I fell behind in the build and ended up finishing it differently. I told myself I would give it another go and it seems like it is time.

I may have to dig out my Matador or Javelin for this one, and by that I mean my AMT AMC's in the stash.

Looking over my YF-12 kit relised it doesn't have instructions or decals.

DSC_0772-1.jpg

This is not going to stop me. I have built 5 of these things in the past and have a completed 48 scale SR-71B to use as a reference. I also have extra decals from olders kits that I can use for this model.

DSC_0771-1.jpg

Now to just figure what color to paint it.... :D

Hi, Warren,

PM me with your USPS mailing address. I have copied the 12-page instruction book and made a color copy of the decal sheet for the 1/48 Testors YF-12A Interceptor.

Ed Wahl

• Like 1

Joe (and anyone else sitting on the fence): There's absolutely NO requirement for any kind of "quality" for this group build!

Group builds have the following simple goals:

1) Get you to build something within the scope of the GB subject

2) Post pics of your build here, in progress (if you desire) and finished pics

3) Participate in the topic by encouraging your fellow GB participants in their efforts

4) HAVE FUN!

5) HAVE FUN! (repeated, because THAT'S the bottom line!)

This is not a contest. It doesn't matter who builds the "best" model, and THAT would be a subjective judgement by everyone here anyway! Group builds can serve as a great motivator if you're undecided on what to start next, or need a dead line to push a project towards completion.

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

In 1969 I remember sitting in front of the TV, spending hours watching the apollo mission and the first landing on the moon. I'm choosing the landing module by revell as my entry for the group build.

thanks for the encouraging words to join ,i appreciate it very much.

Guest PetrolGator

Added. I think I've added everyone so far. If you want to start work, feel free. I also extended the "deadline" to April 1st in case someone needs more time. I'll be a little late to the party. I'm not gonna start the Oklahoma until Bogue is off my desk.