IDF Mickey Mouse Sherman

Mark Aldrich

Can't believe I started another one. I have the M-12 awaiting finishing and a review 3/4 done and I went and started another build. Well, there is a set of Shermans in the Independence Day parade of 1949 that sport Disney characters above the registration number. In all there were 2 Mickeys, 1 Minnie, and Pluto. I think they did it because they (the 82nd Armored Battalion) knew they were being disbanded because there were too many Machals (Non-Israeli volunteers) in the Armor Force. It was their act of defiance! It is basically the 105mm kit with a M2/M3 gun, barrel, shield and mantlet taken off a Dragon Sherman Mk. III kit. I had originally purchased a CMK barrel and mantlet but it looks too wrong in so many ways. The barrel actually looks like a 105mm (short and stubby). Luckily, my Sherman graveyard yielded the parts I needed. My only remaining concerns are the sandshields (Dragon's are PE [which I detest]), and the crew. In the photo, all hatches are open and a crew member is present. I no good at figure painting.

IMG_0082_zpse265cdb9.jpg

IMG_0336_zpsfb4a5075.jpg

IMG_0337_zpsdaa2d00a.jpg

IMG_0341_zps42a657ef.jpg

IMG_0342_zps14157503.jpg

One of Dragon's downfalls (IMHO) is the replacing of the styrene fenders with PE. I would rather have the choice and would always pick styrene over PE or resin.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

James,

Unfortunately, I cannot. If the Author, Dr. Robert Manasherob, found out, I could get into a lot of trouble. He did give me permission (after much begging) to use his book cover but neither of these vehicles are the one I am actually building. The bottom vehicle is Pluto and is actually a 105mm Howitzer equipped M4A1.

lionandlionessvol6small_zpsf7c12f38.png

• 2 weeks later...

So the build was going well. That SHOULD have been my first clue! The PE hull ventilator went together and looked nice, then the fenders were done and they ACTUALLY held. I bent and glued the right side light guard and it actually held and looked great and then the left side WOULD NOT effin sit! I tried four different times and could not get the left side front leg to stay attached to the hull. Being a glutten for punishment, I decided to attach the front fenders. I have no idea what Dragon was thinking. This is not a cobbled build for the hull. I am using the kit supplied lower hull and tranny cover and there wasn't a snowball's chance that these fenders were going to sit on the tranny cover the way they were suppose to. I attempted to get them to attach to the tranny and ...you guessed it.....the seams where the two pieces were joined simply peeled apart. It almost ended up in the garbage. I have removed the PE fenders and headlight guards and opted for the plastic guards in the kit. No where near as nice as the PE, but they will have to do. The fenders however have no plastic replacements. These I had to get out of the Formations fender set and am very thankful I have them. Dragon really needs to be shot! Here are the remains of this attempt at using PE!

IMG_0723_zps92767ae4.jpg

IMG_0725_zps3058e24e.jpg

Last weeks progress. Attempted to use TMDs hatches but they were more frustrating than using PE. Altered the kit ones to make them a little more realistic.

IMG_0733_zps99e10baf.jpg

IMG_0734_zps167a4597.jpg

IMG_0735_zps7289fdf6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

After realizing I had the wrong gunner's periscope mounted I had the fun of drilling out the wrong one and adding the correct style. In the process of doing this, I broke both antennas off and also found out the IDF mounted the quick lay iron sight backwards so I fixed that as well.

IMG_0770_zps859e3784.jpg

Thanks Duke,

I am currently grinding off berets and headphones of some Resicast British tankers to make the crew. Need four figures and trying to position them in the turret and hull hatches to hide as much "lack of interior" detailing as possible.

Looking good Mark.

Mark,

This is looking good! I know what you mean about PE..sometimes it just ain't worth it : ) I like the fact you intend to fill the hatches with figures too! You do know that 4 figures will force it into the vignette category at the Nats contest. Local contests are another matter. Then again, don't we build for our own pleasure/torture?

Take care,

mark

Mark,

Thanks!!!! We build for our own pleasure! Vignette model, no matters to me!!!! AS long as there is a place for a tank, I am golden!