FORUM VOTE: WIP Forums

Guest PetrolGator

How would you like WIP threads to be handled?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like one WIP forum or a separate forum for each major genre?

• Single WIP thread
    • WIP threads split among ships, automotive, aircraft, etc.
    • Keep as is. Because.

This is a test. Of a ship.

Guess what folks?

attachicon.gif9de1f31f.jpg

This isn't on Photo Bucket.

I am confused. I thought you (& others) were talking about an image imbedded in a post that could not be accessed from elsewhere.

I right-clicked & saved it to my machine.

I hovered, got the URL and made it show up on another website.

????

I just posted the first photos I've ever used in these forums over in the Armor area. It works like a charm and is actually a bit easier than some other forums with this feature.

Like John mentioned, I'd be curious as to whether these images can now be used remotely in another forum - like any photobucket image - or whether the hot linking is prevented. While hot linking in and of itself isn't inherently bad, if I understand it correctly, it can strain the bandwidth of the host site. If possible, I would recommend we ensure members don't start using this upload feature JUST so they can in-turn use the images on other sites that don't offer direct uploading of attachments.

Well done, Chris. Give yourself a raise!!!

Edited by RLFoster

Guest PetrolGator

Ha. No worries.

I'm working on disabling hot linking this weekend. I'm not 100% sure how easy it'll be, but it'll most certainly avoid any issues we have with the forums, connection wise.

Actually, hot-linking is looked on as discourteous and the admins on the forum where the hot-link is placed should handle the problem.

But since the world isn't always courteous, it would be nice if we could either prevent it from our side or even more fun, place a polite "naughty boy" message there instead of the photo itself.

I will continue to host my own pictures ....

Actually, hot-linking is looked on as discourteous and the admins on the forum where the hot-link is placed should handle the problem.

But since the world isn't always courteous, it would be nice if we could either prevent it from our side or even more fun, place a polite "naughty boy" message there instead of the photo itself.

I will continue to host my own pictures ....

Seriously? I never knew this. I apologize then, because I have always hosted my pics on a closed Forum called the League of Extraordinary Modelers which allowed me and everyone else on the site to set up our own Galleries for hosting our pics. I have always hot-linked from there to all other Forums I post on for ease and simplicity of posting; especially since I post so many pics per post (when I post pics) If I didn't hot-link, it would take me all day to post everything I want to post everywhere I want to post it. They have never had an issue with me doing that either, for which I am supremely grateful. So, even if you disable hot-linking from local IPMS galleries to other places, please allow me to continue to hot-link to these Forums so I can continue to post my pics.

Mark,

What you are doing is NOT the hotlinking we are talking about. Using an authorized "gallery" to store the basic image (which is then posted on various other sites) is precisely why photo storage sites and galleries were created.

The hotlinking we are talking about is posting an image on one forum or website (NOT a gallery) and then linking that image to other forums or sites. For example, it would completely inappropriate to use the NEW upload feature to post an image directly from your computer to this forum, then, turn around and create a post on the LEM forum and post the same image using ...forum.ipmsusa3.org... as the URL for the image. That is the type of hotlinking that is frowned upon (AND forbidden here per the rules).

There's a big difference between hotlinking (also known as "leeching") and the normal, day-to-day creation of authorized hyperlinks...

You're cool...

Edited by RLFoster

Yes, well said, Robert Foster of Pensacola, FL.

Nice to have the feature available, Chris. Thanks for taking it up.

Regards,

Robert Beach of Norfolk, VA

(Married to Diana of Pensacola, FL...)

;^P