FORUM VOTE: WIP Forums

Guest PetrolGator

How would you like WIP threads to be handled?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like one WIP forum or a separate forum for each major genre?

• Single WIP thread
    • WIP threads split among ships, automotive, aircraft, etc.
    • Keep as is. Because.

Guest PetrolGator

Members,

I'm at an impasse on how to go with this issue so I'll leave it up to a vote. I'm going to do some major updating on how this site is set up with the hope that it'll increase user friendliness and clarity.

Step one is the WIP system on the forum. MOST sites have separate WIP forums for each major genre, though this sort of defeats the purpose of allowing different people to easily cross their zone of comfort, modeling wise. However, I do not think clicking on a different forum will terribly complicate matters.

Option 1: Move all WIP items to the WIP thread. This is messy, though it does make all work in progress items easy to access. It does involve stepping on some toes.

Option 2: Split the WIP among the different modeling disciplines. The main "member" forum will be split into Aircraft, Automotive, etc. There will be two forums under each parent group for Completed Builds/questons and WIP threads.

Edit: Do not hesitate to post your opinions here, either. This forum exists for your enjoyment, first and foremost.

This is good. I'm not sure I'd want all my work in a single WIP shared by others. I would tend to overwhelm a Thread like that when I do have time to post progress on my models; especially after a week of marathon building, or after the two Hobby Days I attend. A whole Forums where I can put my whole Thread in is nice; that's why I based "Maddog Manufacturing" in the Photos/On the Workbench Forums. I hate having to split my Aircraft and Armor into separate WIP Threads like I have to do on another board; it gets even worse if I start working on a ship or automobile or anything else not Aircraft or Armor. That is why I have an ongoing thread showing all my work over the course of the year. I certainly don't mind posting my finished models in their respective Forums.

Granted, I'm the exception to the rule here as I build a lot of models over a short period of time consisting of different genres and subjects, so I'm not sure how much my opinion really weighs on this matter. That being said, whatever allows me to keep my "Maddog Manufacturing" Thread going as one long WIP thread gets my vote.

Chris,

I voted (actually changed my vote) for a single "workbench" or WIP sub-forum. However, this vote is based solely on the ability to VIEW the in-progress builds as easily as possible. Since I do not use any internet based photo hosting service, unless or until the forum adds direct uploading and hosting of photos, I will probably not be posting any WIP threads.

Guest PetrolGator

Chris,

I voted (actually changed my vote) for a single "workbench" or WIP sub-forum. However, this vote is based solely on the ability to VIEW the in-progress builds as easily as possible. Since I do not use any internet based photo hosting service, unless or until the forum adds direct uploading and hosting of photos, I will probably not be posting any WIP threads.

Sadly, I doubt we will get permission to add this functionality. Most forums that I'm a member on (outside of kitmaker) seem to have it.

I voted keep as is.

Some modelers have build (WIP) threads in the genre modeling forums - no problem.

Some modelers have a build/workbench/WIP thread in the WIP forum - no problem.

Let the modeler chose ... please don't make sub-forums inside the genre forums.

I thought the Photos:On The Bench topic was the WIP section. There are 20 some threads there started this calendar year thus far. I didn't count threads started this year in any of the specific forums. I guess I would leave it as is, and let a few build progress threads escape into their genre specific forums as is happening now. Its the nature of people to do what they want anyway. I doubt that shuffling the board will drive up traffic. We all need to step up with our own contributions in content here. I know most of us have our own particular non IPMS forum preferences and enjoy helping them to succeed, but we could probably make more of an effort to show our work here with little to no more effort. I particularly would love to see more of the work that is on the Nationals tables brought to life here. You rarely see any of it in progress. Doesn't have to be real time either. After the convention it would be nice to see some of the winners post run downs of how they did what they did. The Journal gets a little of that, but that's such a limited source.

Maybe start a forum called the Winners Circle. If you have a winning model of any nature you could post a photo or two and descriptions of the build with photos to support it. I don't know. Maybe that would just be a vehicle for bragging and collapse under its own snooty weight after a while. Or die on the vine from non use.

I better go build something.

Rick L.

That is a pretty good idea Rick. I know of two other Forums that have a "Trophy Case" where people can post pics of their winning models with the awards next to them. Then people would follow up with, "How did you do X?" or "Show me how you did ____".

Anyway, it is nice to toot one's own horn once in a while. In reference to the "Photos, On the Bench" Forum, I also have been posting my works in progress thread on there.

Chris, I'm a bit confused by what you're proposing. If I understand what you're saying, you are considering that there be (either in the Genre forums, or as a separate forum) WIP-only forum(s)? Doesn't this make things more complex rather than less (because you now have *more* sub-forums to deal with...) You mention user-friendliness as an issue. Are there specific complaints regarding the Forums organization? (Seems pretty standard to me, I guess...) Since most folks may, as I do, view "stuff" via the 'New Content' filter, does the organization really play a big part to forum members? I suppose when starting threads, it does come up, but from a 'read & reply' standpoint?

As I see it, new stuff comes up, I see it via 'New Content', check it out & if I post a reply (usually when I am interested in following later), it automatically becomes part of My Content which I then am checking when I first come into the Forums for any updates. Pretty easy.

If you are proceeding with this 'WIP Thread Consolidation', I'd recommend the WIP's stay in the associated Genre forums. Regardless, you really need a bigger vote "sampling" to have a decent cross-section...

Just looked over at Britmodeller, they have the WIP subforum in each 'interest area'. Works okay... generally clean layout, but then they don't really have to deal with 'business' issues either.

Regards,

Robert

Edited by rbeach84

Guest PetrolGator

Chris, I'm a bit confused by what you're proposing. If I understand what you're saying, you are considering that there be (either in the Genre forums, or as a separate forum) WIP-only forum(s)? Doesn't this make things more complex rather than less (because you now have *more* sub-forums to deal with...) You mention user-friendliness as an issue. Are there specific complaints regarding the Forums organization? (Seems pretty standard to me, I guess...) Since most folks may, as I do, view "stuff" via the 'New Content' filter, does the organization really play a big part to forum members? I suppose when starting threads, it does come up, but from a 'read & reply' standpoint?

As I see it, new stuff comes up, I see it via 'New Content', check it out & if I post a reply (usually when I am interested in following later), it automatically becomes part of My Content which I then am checking when I first come into the Forums for any updates. Pretty easy.

If you are proceeding with this 'WIP Thread Consolidation', I'd recommend the WIP's stay in the associated Genre forums. Regardless, you really need a bigger vote "sampling" to have a decent cross-section...

Just looked over at Britmodeller, they have the WIP subforum in each 'interest area'. Works okay... generally clean layout, but then they don't really have to deal with 'business' issues either.

Regards,

Robert

Major modeling categories will be reflected by a WIP thread and Gallery/General thread. Kitmaker is set up like this.

Chris,

There is a potental problem with looking at Kitmaker - or any other huge modeling website - as a blueprint. The Kitmaker "network" of forums (and sites) has thousands of registered members who actively use their various boards. The Armorama forum alone easily exceeds this forum in terms of average daily posts and views by probably 500% or more. I really can't see why you would want to be creating any sub-forum that is only going to get a handful of views and perhaps one or two new threads each week (or month!). It's ultimately up to you, but that's my 2 cents...

Guest PetrolGator

It is just an idea I wanted to throw to membership. What we have isn't working. I also plan to create Region-specific sub forums, though I doubt they'll get the use that would make them really, really valuable to IPMS-related activities.

Guest PetrolGator

Robert: Usage. My overall goal is increased usage of these forums so that they can be a hub of IPMS related information. I'm brainstorming right now, with membership input, how to facilitate that. This is just one idea that I frankly do not know how to proceed with, if at all.

Ah, I see now. You're looking at the metrics and feel, compared to the overall membership count, that the 'traffic' should be greater. You feel that perhaps a bit of revamping and re-org will have a positive impact on the numbers.

Do I have it right?

R/ Robert

Guest PetrolGator

I'm starting to lean waiting for the "split" until after we reach a certain member threshold. I may leave the current WIP threads where they are and enforce movement after, say, the first of October.

That being said, our IPMS-related threads are still the busiest. Can you imagine if members would copy/paste one or two builds to the boards in the time it took to post in OOB? We'd be banging! :unsure:

Keep in mind that very few builders take pics of their models, let alone take pics of their WIP. And then there's the "hassle" of learning how to post those pics to a web host and then post them onto whatever site you want to share them on. It's almost another entire set of skills to learn, especially if you want your pics to look halfway decent compared to the rest you see posted.

Whatever we end up with, it should be VERY loosely moderated as to what ends up where. Newcomers who post a WIP in the completed topic area might lose enthusiasm for this site if they're chastised for posting in the wrong place, or can't find what they posted earlier because it got moved. If I'm interested in a/c, I don't care WHAT a post is about in the a/c area. The title of the thread should clue me in before I click on it, and from there I decide how interested I am in participating. I don't need a moderator to "police" the area or try to make it easier for me to sort the topics.

Keep the main topic areas BROAD and easy to interpret. It will also make the moderators job easier!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges

Want more traffic? Advertise. If the Journal goes to every member; utilize it. Push the forum. I'll bet a large chunk of the membership doesn't know about it, or it isn't in the forefront of their online planning. How many members are registered here?

Rick L.

Guest PetrolGator

Rick: I try. It would be helpful if members on the forum would try to get the word out. Most of IPMS doesn't frequent Facebook, or even the 'net to a large degree. Sadly, the organization is SO loosely constructed that anything I did would be lost in the noise.

That being said, our IPMS-related threads are still the busiest. Can you imagine if members would copy/paste one or two builds to the boards in the time it took to post in OOB? We'd be banging! :unsure:

Hey, I'm tryin' man! :smiley29::blush::smiley2::smiley8: