SB2C Helldiver Help Needed

dmorrissette

Dave: I cannot find much on this sparsely marked airplane. Since it's apparently an -1 in tri-color camo, but no red surround to the stars, it's probably very late '43 or early '44. There's no G markings or other carrier Id markings that came into use during '44-'45, so I can only guess. It doesn't match the decal markings provided in the Pro-Modeler kit, nor could I find a picture or side view of this particular plane in the couple of books I have that cover the Helldiver. I don't have any after market Helldiver sheets; perhaps someone else does. What's really confusing is I can find plenty of pics with white numbers on the cowl, but none with black numbers on the cowl.

My best guess would be Essex, Yorktown, or Lexington in early '44. However, there is a very similarly marked crashed Helldiver (except for white cowl numbers) captioned "USS Card, June '44 carquals" in one book. Since there's no side markings to indicate squadron, only what appears to be an individual a/c#, I have no idea as to what group it's from. Perhaps this indicates a stateside training plane, with no need for squadron or carrier markings. Hopefully someone with these decals (and the instructions) will be along shortly to give definitive info!

GIL :smiley16:

Edited by ghodges