Something Like This.................

Guest Bun E. Carlos

For many years Revell had a 1/72 Skycrane in their catalog. Dunno if it's been reissued in recent memory...last issue I remember was in the middle Eighties. I don't think anybody else has one.

- Tamiya released one in 1/100 scale in the mid 70's. I believe it was re-issued as recently as last year. Hobby Lobby's carried the line of Tam 1/100, but here locally they look like they as simply exhausting their supply.

- Aurora also had a 1/72-ish issue.

- Revell of Germany re-issued the 1/72 kit in 2001 with THESE markings on the sister ship, (a/c N164AC). No sign of additional parts to replicate the vacuum cleaner lookin hose thingie that hangs down from the underside or any other fire fighting gear. The decals are pretty cool and represent these markings well.

S-64Rev.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Saw a lot of skycranes last fire season here in southern California. Watching fire bombing aircraft is part of growing up here. Friend of mine was inspecting the construction of the new fire dept air operations center last year. The County and City of LA base aircraft and helos there. One of the County blackhawk pilots lives a few houses from me so we get imprompto airshows at least once a week. My favorite aerial firefighters are the Canadair CL 214 "super scoopers," They always fly in pairs and spent a lot of time over my house last year working fires nearby. Always interesting to watch in spite of the unfortunate reason for them being there.

Thanks for the post

Chris

A little off the subject, Flagstaff's AZ Airport gets a lot of touch and goes from Marines and USAF aircraft. Then in late spring early summer a batch of forest service firebombers.