Wheel well support

burner12

I'm currently building Revell's 1/48 F-14D. I have the True Details Aftermarket kit, which includes the cockpit and top wheel well. Because the top of the wheel well is the bottom of the kit cockpit. A problem I have is that when i cut the TD wheel well piece off the resin it doesn't fit. There are two vertical pieces that are molded into the bottom fuselage to support the wheel well. But the TD well is too short to connect to them. So I thought adding a piece of sprue longer, than the supports, to the aftermarket wheel piece would work. It does fit, but I'm wondering if gluing the aftermarket piece to sprue and sprue to the supports would that be able to support the aircraft's weight?

Hard to tell, but sprue doesn't really weigh much. However, resin does add significant weight. Monogram gear is usually pretty sturdy, and should be ok. But, if you're concerned, find a piece of thin brass wire, drill a hole from the bottom center of the "T" axle up into the main nose gear leg and then add that wire into the leg. Do this as far into the gear leg as your drill bit will allow you to go, and that should add some strength to the nose gear leg.

GIL :smiley16: