Group build topics: Membership input

Guest PetrolGator

I've got 7 1/48th OOB Spitfires in the display case and one just about ready for decals. I'm sure some of those are '39 to '40 eligible.

Best group builds for a website that encompasses multiple modeling genres are ones that can stretch across multiple genres. A lot of sites are doing 100th anniversary of WW1 builds that allow aircraft, figures, armor, ships and whatever else are WW1 related. You could probably find some sort of civilian auto or truck from that era that fits the bill.

Specific vehicle GBs do well at modeling sites that cater to that genre. For instance, on an aircraft site, having a GB for a fighter plane would go over well as would a tiger tank GB on an armor site. But on a site where there are modelers of all types (and not a large population of modelers to begin with), a specific type subject GB would only appeal to a select group.

I agree with Rob, any GB needs to be more a theme than a subject to encourage a broad range of interests.

OTOH, I had another thought -- how about a couple-three GB's that are NOT military (including not sci-fi military), or at least military before 1900.

Guest PetrolGator

Note: Any Group Build approved will be tailored to allow any of the major genres of model building participation. For example, as much as something like "Flying Aces" sounds good, it would exclude folks who don't build planes.

• 50th Anniversary of Vietnam starts this year, with all sorts of historical timeline bits through 2025(!)

Model of a subject that represents somebody you know personally. Just like dioramas, the back-story is a factor here.

Several Group Builds can be tailored to specific Theaters of Operation: Pacific, N Africa etc.

The Fabulous Fifties would encompass many genres, as well as the Swingin' Sixties, etc.

Any prototypes or first production models of anything.

That's all I got so far.

Maybe even a Memorial Group Build dedicated to someone who passed away recently too.

There are also manufacturer based build ideas like "build a Ford" or "build a Tamiya". On Fine Scale Modeler's website they have a running group build called "Monogram Mafia" where the builder builds something made by Monogram which now includes merge Revell kits, reissued Aurora, etc. That encompasses just about everything from a dinosaur to cars, ships, tanks, planes, spacecraft, figures

Guest PetrolGator

Gents,

I've been reading this and will formulate three different ideas to spread out along the remainder of 2014 and the start of 2015. I hope ya'll will participate.

• 1 month later...

2015 celebrates the 80th birthdays of two incredibly significant aircraft: Boeing Model 299 first flew on July 28, 1935, and the Douglas DC-3 prototype first flew on December 17, 1935. These maiden flights led to a long succession of B-17 models/derivatives and DC-3/C-47 models/derivatives. There is time to set these 80th birthday aircraft as themes and to get them built by their respective anniversaries. Any variant will qualify. Are there any other 80th birthday subjects out there (armor, ships, automotive) that are as revolutionary and lasting?

Ed