Info on USS Carronade

Ron Bell

I'm working on this Lindberg kit for a review and have a question about what goes in some of the "tubs" on the ship. In specific, there is a tub hanging off the rear of the superstructure just in front of the rear 4omm mount, but the kit has nothing in it. I've looked on the internet, but cannot find any shot that gives a clear idea what's in there. There is something, but I can't tell what. Logically, it would be a director for the 40mm, but I just don't know.

And, at the top of the superstructure just in front of the stack is the mast. Then, stepped down, there are three areas that are partitioned off. The top two have radar units but the bottom foremost one is empty. Again, in photos there is something in there, but I can't tell what.

Anybody have any ideas?

This is actually not a terrible kit and in the hands of a really good ship modeler, which I most definitely do not claim to be, it could be made up very nicely. I'll appreciate any help I can get.

Edited by Ron Bell

Ron,

I have Friedman's "U.S. Amphibious Ships and Craft", ISBN 1-55750-250-1.

pg 258 has a small top & side view of Carronade.

I believe you are correct on the 40mm director.

I believe the object on the forward stepped down area looks like a rangefinder, but that is just a guess.

I do not believe the object one deckup is a radar, however.

I can scan/email the drawing if you wish. The text is not helpful.

John R

John,

That confirms what I was guessing. I'll go with that. As to the spurious radar, that's what the kit gave me.

Ron