Sign in to follow this  
JimDeck

Bino Microscope

So my boss asks me if I can use this for my model building. It's great for PE work but it takes some getting used to. Hand eye coordination is a bit off as you can imagine. That and a very narrow depth of field mean that you have to bounce between eyepiece and naked eye to get where you want to be. Has anyone else had any experience with one of these? Is this a viable tool or will the coordination issues drive me batty?

IMG_20140901_154315_754_zpsmutoud4m.jpg

My 20 years in the USAF was in the Nondestructive Inspection career field and we used something very similar (called a stereozoom microscope) for the visual interpretation of discontinuities - i.e. cracks - in metal components. The one we used typically went from 20x to 150x.

With practice, you might find it useful for some detail work, Jim. However, like you said, the depth of field is very limited and any movement toward or away from the objective lens will take the subject completely out of focus. Don't give up on it too quickly, but don't be surprised if even with practice, it's just not viable for modeling.

BTW, look at the facade on the back of a five dollar bill though it...the state names literally jump off the bill!!

Oh, and if everything works and the lens in good, it is a very expensive piece of equipment!

Edited by RLFoster

There is a Swiss modeler who uses one. He built a Felixstowe and a Stringbag dio. They are both beautiful. I forget his name.

(BTW, I use to remember the names of builders of really great models, but with the internet, I see so many I can't remember the names anymore.)

I'm going to play with it for awhile. If I can't use then it goes back to the company. We use microscopes for inspection too. This one was used by a vendor and got put into storage when it was returned. So far it is great for inspecting PE to make sure the fret stubs are completely removed. :smiley16:

I'm going to play with it for awhile. If I can't use then it goes back to the company. We use microscopes for inspection too. This one was used by a vendor and got put into storage when it was returned. So far it is great for inspecting PE to make sure the fret stubs are completely removed. :smiley16:

The swiss guy I am thinking about used it for photoetch. He did some amazing stuff.

Presbyopia hit me hard a few decades ago and I haven't been able to finish many models since. I started out using a jewelers loupe which worked for a while and now I've got magnifying Visors on every floor. At build sessions they called me "Doc Ock" initially but I've popularized the technique and now everyone's got one. My dentist has a wearable set of BinoMicroscopes that I wish I had but they're not cheap so stick with what you got there and sell it to me when you're done!

Cheers,

Sign in to follow this