Review WIP: Eduard Big Ed Set for the 1/48 Monogram B-29

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got to spend a few hours at the bench today working the cockpit. The raw parts are pretty close to being done which means primer. That's the good news. The bad news is that we'll be taking a long w

Quickboost resin makes .50 cal barrels for the "B-25", but they should work well for any .50cal. All you have to do is cut them from the pour stub, drill and pin them, and you can add them at the end

Quickboost is just fine. But since you've come all this way with all this brass, you need Master Model brass barrels. Well, need may be the wrong word. Would really be cool though.     Rick L.

Posted Images

Great work, Jim! The detail is done well! I'm still waiting for my hobby room makeover! Chris said that you were also good at that too! LOL! Best,

Mark

Thanks Mark!

Got 3 hours at the bench so far this weekend. This is all one piece now thanks to CA and Tamiya Thin. :smiley29:

IMG_20141108_171623_259_zps7c9kscnu.jpg

IMG_20141108_171641_992_zps7mvkffqm.jpg

IMG_20141108_171701_201_zpsdtvnfxfw.jpg

IMG_20141108_171715_090_zpsvwdfcdwd.jpg

That's some very neat work there Jim! I cannot seem to add pe without some superglue seeping out around one edge or another.... :smiley7:

Also, I see the engineer's panel with all of those slots in it. Are you going to be adding all the individual levers there too? :o

Really enjoying this build, as I have at least one (or more) Monogram B-29s to build myself! Eventually, sometime, someday.......

GIL :smiley16:

Thanks Gil, truth is there are a lot of glue marks. I'm hoping finger nail polish remover will help with those. As far as the levers go... I just picked up a pack of 350 straight pins to fill those slots and the rest of them at the pilots and bombardiers stations. :smiley19:

What's your trick for getting that (quilted padding?) to fit so neatly inside without all sorts of creases and clamp marks ? And stay there ?

Big thumbs. :smiley4:

A few more pieces on. I have all the console and IP bits cleaned up and scattered about along with the rudder pedals. The rear of the flight deck was ready for paint at this point so I took the opportunity to primer it. Primer to me is always a landmark moment. Shooting primer keeps me motivated at times.

I think I'll use the kit control columns. The PE controls look strange. I bought a pack of straight pins to use for levers but they are too big in diameter. No problem, I'll just use stretched sprue.

All that is left are the 5 consoles and the pilots seats before I finish the primer coat. Once that is on I'll check it over and fill any cracks with PVA and reprimer. Then we can add the levers, do the color coats, and add the pre painted PE panels. It goes a lot faster than it sounds.

IMG_20141109_181828_776_zpsiooaqd5r.jpg

IMG_20141109_181857_853_zpszaif53je.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Warren...

Not much to report. I did get to work a little bit this weekend. All I have to show for it is one rudder pedal assembly. Tis the season to prepare for guests. I hope to get some bench time after turkey day.

Here's last weekends accomplishment...

10603305_1570359839866413_53364584289301

Yep... That's it... :blush:

Quickboost resin makes .50 cal barrels for the "B-25", but they should work well for any .50cal. All you have to do is cut them from the pour stub, drill and pin them, and you can add them at the end as you see fit! They come 7 to a set, and a couple of sets will set you back $10-$20.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Howdy Bill,

Just got the Christmas tree down and the home back in order. I want her finished for a show in April so look for something soon.

• 6 years later...

Those are some slightly large tail feathers. The plan is to build this up as a bunch of sub assemblies. Sort of like eating an elephant.

spacer.png

HE'S B-A-C-K.......:laugh:

STILL gonna take notes as I haven't gotten to my B-29s in the last 6yrs either!

Gil :smiley16:

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing to report this week. I am studying for some IT certs and took some time to redesign the workbench area... again... :^)

That said here is a video on how I improved the look of the elevators. An old dog with an old trick but it still works.

Yep....nothing fancy, but a better "scale" look to those elevators! I actually recommend the UMM scribing tool to do that work as it's a bit hardier with less flex in the blade.

umm-usa_scriber1_t.jpg.8a8e72287956814b1a71c91ba794d67c.jpg