Review WIP: Eduard Big Ed Set for the 1/48 Monogram B-29

ShutterAce

OK folks lets light this puppy up!

Yep, You read that title right! I am the guy that is crazy enough to take on this pile of plastic and brass. It's massive, it's huge , it's hugely massive! Oh, and it's really big too. :D

I have posted these two beginning pics before but I'm going to add them here also for continuity.

This first pic is of the tail assembly and sensor blocks for the "Little Boy" atomic weapon. I am not doing an "atomic aircraft" so I used these pieces as a bit of practice before tackling the rest of the parts.

http://forum.ipmsusa3.org/index.php?/topic/13462-just-warming-up/

IMG_20140823_164927_204_zpsf217889d.jpg

Waist position with the floor installed and the required details removed from the rear bulkhead.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ipmsusa/

WaistPositionFloor_zpsaea8f5c2.jpg

Edited by JimDeck

OK, so that is what was done up until last Saturday. This evening I got another 5 whole parts assembled. The two steps for the seats and the gunners seat pedestal which was three pieces. I'm using a combination of Gators Grip and CA glue depending on the situation.

At this rate you people better go make a sandwich. :P

IMG_20140825_211212_882_zps6spwfzjb.jpg

Edited by JimDeck

I absolutely love the Gator Grip glue for photoetch. Rough up the back with heavy grit sanding sticks, and the part you are attaching it too. Way tougher than CA, and a little wiggle time before it sets. Great work, Jim!

Rick L.

Thanks Gents!

Got a little bit done on the waist section this afternoon. Planning on heading back down to the dungeon again in a few minutes.

I added the seat and control boxes to the pedestal. The hardest part was forming the curves in the seat bucket but that wasn't too terrible. I did use more CA on this assembly because of the quick setting time. That seat sits on a 5mm long piece of round toothpick and I didn't want to have to hold it all day. :smiley29:

waist_zpsa34b5929.jpg

Skinning this bulkhead was a learning experience. I tried Gator's Grip but needed some instant tack so I wiped that off and broke out the CA again. It kind of bubbled in a few places but I was able to smooth most of it out with my fingers.

waist_bulkhead_zps9cb23166.jpg

The tail gunners bulkhead was simple after all that. :P

tailbulkhead_zps34951b1a.jpg

Hopefully I'll have some more bits later tonight.

Edited by JimDeck

Well, I just spent a few good hours at the bench and made a good bit of progress.

First off I tackled the small brackets at the base of the pedestal. That log laying on the floor is actually a toothpick for size reference. I folded the pieces with tweezers and attached them with Gators Grip Thin. With that the addition of raw brass to this section is complete. The pre-painted PE items will obviously be added after painting.

IMG_20140901_142654_843_zps7scltnns.jpg

Next up I added the 9 raw parts to the rear waist bulkhead.

IMG_20140901_153855_917_zpsulbyeaq6.jpg

And that's where we stand for now. I'm thinking it's about time for a nap. :smiley12:

Wow! Monster project, my hat is off to you. This kit has been interesting me recently but I'm enjoying your updates and photos more than if I pulled mine out of the closet and started building it. I'm looking forward to more updates...

Rick T

Thanks Rick.

On todays episode of "What the Heck Did I Get Myself into?"

Gunsights!

IMG_20140906_181108_949_zpslivsvyp9.jpg

IMG_20140906_181225_921_zps7jvwysqp.jpg

That was a few hours of intensity! Not perfect but they will do.

That's all for today.

Edited by JimDeck

Can anyone tell me or show me what is in the Squadron canopy set for this bird? I'm think of getting them but I'd like to know what 4 pieces I'm getting.

http://www.squadron.com/1-48-Squadron-Canopies-B-29-Superfortress-Canopy-p/sq9641.htm

I'm hoping to get some bench time today. What I really need now is information. I have decided to do this as an RB-29. I have no resources in my library on the B-29 let alone the RB-29/F-13A variant. I need information and pictures of modifications and markings. Anything you can point me to would be helpful.

You are no longer allowed to remark about my supposed insanity. You are clearly infected yourself and are doing a bang up job proving it. Welcome to the asylum.

Rick L.

That really made me laugh!

Lot's of parts prep and a tiny bit of PE folded over the weekend. Not as much as I had hoped but I had the opportunity to spend some nice quality time with my wife so I took advantage of it.

IMG_20140921_212516_867_zpspqug0iau.jpg

Most of the trimming and scraping is done. You can see all the holes where I have removed consoles in preparation for the PE replacements that are to come. The two large structures at the bottom of the frame are the instrument pedestals. A lot more to come. I'd really like to see primer next weekend.

Edited by JimDeck

Watching this with interest Jim. You have great persistence, as much of what you're doing will only be able to be appreciated by you in the end. I've got 2 B-29s to build in the future, so I'm taking notes!

GIL :smiley16:

Got to spend a few hours at the bench today working the cockpit. The raw parts are pretty close to being done which means primer. :smiley16: That's the good news. The bad news is that we'll be taking a long weekend this week so I can attend my High School Reunion. So nothing will get done next weekend.

Here's an overview of where we're at on the cockpit. Navigators and engineers stations are pretty much ready for primer. The piece in the tweezers is the leg for the nav table. the piece at the bottom of the picture is the drop down leaf for the nav table. Almost all of the scraping and other detail removal is complete. There is still some sidewall detail that needs to go but I bought some new blades and it's going well.

IMG_20140928_174404_477_zpsqc13ugaw.jpg

This shot shows the nav table and the side detail on the engineers station.

IMG_20140928_174430_070_zpssao4uars.jpg

And another wider view...

IMG_20140928_174500_286_zpsawtfryul.jpg

In this frontal view you may notice that there are no levers at the navigators station. That's because I don't like the two dimensional pieces. I have decide to use pins instead so that they have some thickness. I also installed the box that the bombsite sits on.

IMG_20140928_174514_300_zpsh0qe8vjd.jpg

Next will be the instrument consoles, seats, sidewalls, and then hopefully some primer. :)

• Like 1

Such clean looking work! Did you say you're using Gorilla Glue for a lot of the pe? How are you actually applying it? Also, isn't it amazing how many knife blades you go through on a project like this! :smiley29:

GIL :smiley16: