Get them out of the corner

Dakimbrell

It is so tiring to see dioramas a shoved up into the back corners of the display room at the contest. They should be out in the middle where the light is better and you can see them from different angles. Pictures I took at Loveland make it look like several are all one thing. This year at Hampton was not much better.

Dioramas are pretty mainstream now days, so why not bring them out where they can be seen instead of putting them in the back like an after thought!

Dak

I understand about the electricity. But it seems like more and more are showing up. It just seems they would be easier to see AND judge out on the middle tables.

Dak

Let's face it, where are the electrical outlets located, on the walls. Therefore, most entries that require electric power will need to be located against the walls unless they supply their own power, IE. batteries. You can't have extension cords running over the floor, just taping them to the floor is against numerous fire & safety regulations. The Fire Marshall has every right to inspect the safety at any event, and if they see something against the rulles, they can & will shut down the event. I've had our local Fire Chief come to our Regional to see things for himself.

So if diorama, or any other type of modeler for that fact, wants to enter a powered display, bring your own or be up against a wall.

Plus, most contests layout the floorplan by category number, so the lower numbers, such as aircraft, are located towards the front of the room and the higher category numbers, such as automotive, sci-fi and dioramas are located towards the rear of the display space.

Tim

Edited by TimDarrah

Ahh, there are electrical outlets at the front of the room, also. And most diorama stuff do not require plug ins, anyway.

Dioramas have the category numbers they do because in the old days they were an afterthought. And until recent years they have not been mainstream modeling. That is changing. At Hampton, I had trouble shooting pictures because of all the people crowded around.

Time to get them out of the corner. There is no rule that says the high number categories MUST go in the back. Consistency is a hobgoblin.

Dak