Snap Or Glue...That Is The Question

ipmsusa2

Hi all,

I just started building the old 1/25th scale Revell Kenworth W900 for a magazine article and surprise, surprise. None of the mounting studs...which are large...will seat fully without solvent. Add solvent, apply pressure and you hear the part 'snap' into place. Start looking closer and you find that many of the detail parts are only partly formed in the snaptite manner. Discovered the original copyright date of 1982 and the fact that it's made in China (of course), while the text at the bottom of the instructions claim a copyright of 2009. Considering that this particular W900 is an Aerodyne, the 1982 date makes sense.

Howsomever, the instructions are written as if this was a glue kit from the get go, though the kit sure doesn't look or build like it. Anyone know if this thing was originally produced as a snap kit and then resurrected as a 'glue' kit? If it wasn't, then you have to wonder why it was created as an apparent hybrid in the first place. Or was it an original Monogram SnapTite to begin with?

Why am I asking these questions? Because I'm mainly an aircraft nut in spite of the fact I've been writing about trucks for several years. In other words, there are times when I'm slightly out of my depth!

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Monogram's line of snap tite kits were in 1//32 scale, so this might be a glue kit from the get go. As far as the made in China marking, I recently bought a Revell (ex-Monogram) M48 Patton tank. My old 1970s one says made in USA, but the new reissue says made in China. It looks like they moved the molds out of the US.

Robin, I've run into the same differences in copyright notices myself where old Monogram aircraft kits are concerned. Still, what has me curious about the truck kit is that that design of it is simplified in areas that are exactly what you would see in a snap kit. Another possibility is that Revell may have produced their own original snap kits at one point and this is one of those.

Richard