Micro Sol vs Micro Set

JimFox

:D Hello friends

Here is a quick "How to..." guide.

MICRO-1.jpg

MICRO-2.jpg

Regards,

Rodolfo

I've been building over 20 years and every time I decal I still have to go back and double check to find out which is first, Sol or Set. I have some sort of mental block.

I use both solutions with protecting my face, as well as when using resin, aerograph, etc., it is necessary to protect us. :smiley20: I have worked several years in this way and fortunately it has not passed anything.

Regards,

Rodolfo

I have heard some people say Micro Set will cause Future to fog as it has ammonia in it. They use Micro Sol exclusively for that reason.

I've never had it do that permanently. I have had some slight temporary fogging, but as the decal dries, it disappears.

In my (feeble) mind, one would "Sol" then "Set", but since that isn't the case, I've resorted to a big "1" and "2" magic-markered on the bottles ...

Great Idea. I wrote "Under" on the lid of the blue stuff.

Great Idea. I wrote "Under" on the lid of the blue stuff.

I use them in alphabetical order...seems to work OK for me... ;) :D :D

From the MicroScale website:

"Micro Sol setting solution is for the most difficult irregular surfaces you find on models. It completely softens the Microscale Decal allowing it to drape down onto the surface of the model conforming perfectly and without distortion. You can get the most amazing results in seemingly impossible places, because Micro Sol actually makes the decal part of the paint. For that reason you should coat Micro Sol on for only a few seconds and then leave it alone, it does the work. Do not touch until dry as the decal is very soft at this stage and could be easily damaged. "

And let me tell you - Microsol worked beautifully for the decals applied to the waffel zimmerit on the Cyberhobby StuH 42 G

I've never had it do that permanently. I have had some slight temporary fogging, but as the decal dries, it disappears.

I have had the same thing happen - it resolves itself however, when another coat of future is put over the decals

I have had the same thing happen - it resolves itself however, when another coat of future is put over the decals

Try using less fluid, it only takes a little to get the job done. I have not had the "fogging" since I started applying very little of either Sol or Set. More future is usually the fix if it does happen :)

Cheers,

John

• 4 weeks later...

A few years ago I built a Porsche GT1 for my father-in-law as a Christmas present. Everything was going great. The paint had come out well and now it was time to decal. The GT1 I built was one of the 1998 Le Mans cars and it had graphics wrapped around the whole body. I put on the first decal and applied a similar product I think its called solvuset. I just about had a heart attack! The decal wrinkled up and I thought my project was done for. Once dry, it laid out and conformed into every crease. Turned out to be one of the best decal jobs I`ve ever done. Its hit and miss though as I have not had consistant result with it. It does fog Future. I learned that one while decaling the Revell Merlin HC1 kit. Really depends on the decals. Some are not affected by it at all.

A few years ago I built a Porsche GT1 for my father-in-law as a Christmas present. Everything was going great. The paint had come out well and now it was time to decal. The GT1 I built was one of the 1998 Le Mans cars and it had graphics wrapped around the whole body. I put on the first decal and applied a similar product I think its called solvuset. I just about had a heart attack! The decal wrinkled up and I thought my project was done for. Once dry, it laid out and conformed into every crease. Turned out to be one of the best decal jobs I`ve ever done. Its hit and miss though as I have not had consistant result with it. It does fog Future. I learned that one while decaling the Revell Merlin HC1 kit. Really depends on the decals. Some are not affected by it at all.

Solvaset is stronger than Micro Sol and will occasionally melt a decal. However the stuff works great. I always test it on an unused decal.