2016 Nats City

If you look at a population map (like this one: http://demographics.coopercenter.org/DotMap/) you get an idea of how seriously skewed the population of the US is to the eastern half of the country; I think the center of population of the country is still somewhere close to Ohio (maybe Indiana). That probably argues for weighting the rotation towards the east.

I like Dave's choice of cities, although Dallas is (surprisingly) on the edge of the "great western emptiness". Phoenix is actually in driving distance of most of southern CA, and Denver is the only western population center that is not on the pacific coast. All of these places have also had multiple successful Nationals, so we know there are reasonable venues and transportation available.

Rather than completely abandoning individual bids and rotating the location, how about making these our "safety locations". If we have no bids, pick one of these that is available and (hopefully) not too close to the previous year's location and go into fallback mode.

Any attempt to limit locations will probably mean farming out some of the work to non-local chapters (for example, one chapter could bid to organize the seminars, another the tours, another the advertising, another the vendors). I'm also thinking if we do this we should make the bid-cycle a year longer to give more time if we need to go use a fallback location.

Biggest problem would be logistics of a National e-board running it when it changes every two years.

I would think that a committee or group in charge of the convention would not be elected, but would have to be appointed based on their skills and know-how. Such is already the case with, e.g. the editors, website staff, office manager, etc. Their appointments would not necessarily expire with an E-board election.