2016 Nats City

It's too bad that we haven't another Nationals down South.

Mark

• Like 2

Dave, I'm glad to hear that the Nationals will be in Colombia, S.C.in 2016. Maybe there is some hope for the South after all. I hope I can make that one or Columbus, OH next year.Thanks!

Mark

Edited by aAzZ09

Please note that it will be hosted by the Mid-Carolina (Columbia) and Piedmont (Spartanburg) clubs only.

Yep, we're not part of this Nats at all. We'll, of course, support it with sponsorships and attendence, and if some members want to volunteer, great.

And yes, Piedmont is the chapter that is headed by James Moody.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that is a bummer. I was hoping for a show out west again so i could actually drive and take a few entries.

See you all in Columbus next year but probably won't be able to make Columbia. Good luck on putting it on though, sure it will be another good show.

• 1 month later...

Had an interesting conversation with an IPMS USA member visiting our UK 50th last year with regard to the IPMS USA Nationals.

He wished that IPMS USA had a PERMANENT annual venue so that the event could be really developed like Scale Modelworld has over the years.

May be worth considering? Am aware though that the USA is a vast country compared to the UK itself, but SMW brings in model makers from all over Europe to compete and attend the show each year as well as traders so the travelling does not seem to be an issue.

What do you guys think to this?

I think that the U.S.A. is a lot bigger than "Old Blighty!" It is bigger than the U.K. And Europe combined. The E-board would, ideally, like to rotate the venue around the country to give as many members as possible to at least periodically attend the National Convention without having to travel too far. Of course, accomplishing this goal is constrained by the ability and willingness of chapters to host the National. Nick Filippone

What Nick said. We looked at some permanent locations. The problem is that many US states are bigger than England and our members are spread out so rotating it to the best of our abilities is the best option for now.

Dave

I agree with Dave ....those saying "...why can't we have the same location every year, like England does?" likely have never been to Europe, most especially England. In this country many members travel farther to their "next-door neighbor chapter" event, than ANYONE in England travels to get to theirs.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep! I guessed that distances would be the main bone of contention in the States. It takes a lot of commitment and willingness for a branch (chapter) to take the National Show on each year. Over the last few years chapters to the Eastern side have stepped up to the mark leaving guys from the west with a lot of expense and travelling to do in order to attend each year.

The American member that I met at SMW 2013 who was in favour of a permanent annual venue was looking to have the show sited somewhere in the middle of the country from what I can remember.

I fully understand the replies to my post about the rationale behind rotating the show each year. The only downside to this is that it has its constraints with regard to further development. Organising a model show is no easy task, and for a chapter to take on the most prestigious USA model show each year only has my admiration.

Incidentally, Europe is not quite as small as some people think. It runs across three time zones like the States. e.g. Greece is 2 hours ahead of the UK.

Had a discussion on the topic of a permanent Nats site just this afternoon at our local B&M. The consensus was that, if it happened, it would be in the East due to population density. Which would leave a number of us in the West permanently out of attending. Which would leave a number of those to conclude that, since anybody, IPMS member or not, can be an IPMS chapter member and can attend local and Regional contests, then there would be no reason to be an IPMS member.

David: I think your reasoning is only half right, in that those whose ONLY reason to be in IPMS is to be able to compete at the Nats would be less inclined to be a member IF they thought the Nats was out of reach.

That said, IPMSUSA cannot depend on THAT type of modeler for its long term health and future. As Ron Bell and others have pointed out in various topics, it's the camaraderie of associating with like minded modelers that keeps people in IPMS for the long run. The parent organization can do things like provide a first class Journal, and make the Nats as accessible to everyone as possible to keep more members interested in renewing their memberships; but if the modeler doesn't feel that IPMS enhances their hobby experience, then they'll let their membership lapse eventually.

I've been attending the Nats since 1978, and I've seen it hop all over the country. Wherever it's been held, there's always been a sizable group that says "that's too far for me to make it". I've only made about 25 or so of those possible 36 shows. In my observation over those years, there is a "core" group of IPMS members who make every show, but it's a small number, probably no more than 50 or so. I fit into the next demographic: those who make every show that they can (fly or drive), if time off work and money allows for it. I'd estimate that group at about 100-300 people. The largest group, by far, are those people who only attend when it's "near" (meaning within about a 12hr drive). The average registered attendance at a Nats for the last 10yrs (based on data supplied by Ron Bell) is @800/yr, meaning almost 3/4sof the registrants are drive-ins because it's near. When the rotation was in place (east-central-west) this meant that those attendees only went to 1 show every 3rd year, when it came within reach. Now that the rotation has been suspended due to a lack of bids from some sectors, and the show is held wherever a viable host can be found, the SAME thing happens: MOST people attend when it's within driving distance. Since MOST clubs and most members are east of the Mississippi, the majority of shows have been held there simply because of the numbers, and not any bias on part of the Eboard..

I fully understand the extra effort in time, money, and planning it takes if you want to attend a show you have to fly to, and why so many take a pass on that. Where I diverge is that I do not base my membership and support of IPMSUSA on attending the National Convention! I understand the effort it takes to host a Nats, the requirements and needs to be met in order to successfully host one, and why it cannot just be "given" to a club in order to make people in one geographic area happy, no matter how long it may be between shows in their area.

Unlike you, I think a SINGLE location for the Nats would work in the long run. Attendance would not be the problem. Those who go every year would continue to do so. Those who go every chance they can would also continue to do so. And what of those who can't afford to "fly" every year if it's not within drivable distance? They'd have to save up for a year or two to make the trip, and attend about every 3rd year or so; just like those who only attend when it's near do now! Perhaps the show might be smaller on average, especially to begin with. But, over time, I think it would grow back to close to where it is now simply because the Nats attracts the best of the best, and many people want to be a part of that.

The "single location" problems concern staffing and logistics. Can we come up with a way to staff, man, and run the show in one location, since no one host could do that every year? Can we find a single location that is "central" enough to draw sustainable attendance every year (meaning it's drivable by enough people to ensure financial stability)? Can we find a site that offers the amenities we need at a long term lower cost that justifies contracting with that ONE site for the foreseeable future? It's my opinion that if we could solve THOSE problems, then the people would come. After all, it's the IPMSUSA Nats, with the largest vendors space and the most and best models in one place at one time each year! THAT, I believe would still be the same, and still be the "draw" that it is now.

The financial success of each Nats has to come first, before consideration of the locale, especially if we want to continue to have a National Convention to attend at all. IPMSUSA is correct in doing this, and I will not let my membership lapse just because they place a Nats out of my reach for a year or two.

GIL :smiley16:

I think the solution will have to be a permanent location. But... because North America is so large compared to the UK, I think it would be best served by using two locations, alternating each year. To make them accessible for the greatest number of attendees, possibly something about a day's drive inland from the east and then the west coast. Each venue should then be reasonable for roughly half the country. Also, in the UK Scale Modelworld is not run by any particular chapter. I understand there is a group of exec board members who work on it each year, and they use a professional event organizing company for the 'heavy lifting'. Let's hear from some UK members in the know.

Bob:

Taking it one step further, I like the idea of either three or six locations- 2 east, 2 middle, 2 west followed by 1-2 years of our current bidding process to allow some other great locations (OK City was awesome and would hate to miss the opportunity to not go to great places like that)

Something like- Orlando / Va. Beach

Middle- Columbus / Dallas

West- Phoenix / Colorado

And let the bidding go to other places

I also did not mean to leave out great cities like Atlanta, Chicago, etc.

Biggest problem would be logistics of a National e-board running it when it changes every two years.

Dave