hair spray chipping

Zglossip

Hey guys , I was reading the article in the new ipms magazine on the tamiya corsair and I read a part in the article and it talked about spraying hairspray over a area to chip it , I have never heard of this technique and would love to know how to do it advice would be very helpful. Thanks

Using the hairspray technique for chipping is fairly simple. First, put down a basecoat of the color you want to show through i.e. silver on an aircraft. Then shoot some inexpensive hairspray over the area to be 'chipped'. One thin coat is all that is needed. Once that dries, apply the overcoat color, such as olive drab or deep blue. After the paint has dried, take a wet paintbrush and go over the area with hairspray on the spots where you want the chipping to occur. Rub it until the silver starts to show through. The water will dissolve the hairspray and allow it to flake off, taking the overcoat with it and leaving the base coat revealed.

Thank you very much this sounds great and I and deffinatly going to try this . one question was the aluminum skin under the the aircraft paint shiny or dull

I don't know to be honest. I guess that would depend on the aircraft you're doing. I guess in the long run it doesn't really matter but maybe some one with more experience and knowledge will be able to answer that question.

Paint would be "dull", bare metal might, and I mean might, be shiny. Depends on oxidation, etc, etc, etc. Don't forget primers. Most aircraft had a coat of primer under the main colors. So you would have color, primer then bare metal. And remember, some surfaces might be fabric covered.

Guest PetrolGator

Always make sure you apply the overcoats in THIN Layers. I've found thicker layers of acrylic paint (which is water based) tend to disturb the hairspray and ruin the paint job.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PetrolGator

As far as I know, it only works with acrylics. I HAVE done a light oil was on acrylics then chipped, but I was definitely unsure if it would still work as effectively.

• 3 months later...