Anyone interested in a "How To Make Your Own Decals" ebook?

ipmsusa2

ALPS printers are the new Monogram Vacuform Machines--a piece of history patched together to keep working. Just like one of my cars.

Ed

Cue the film clip of Mad Max scavenging fuel from the wrecked truck, using a spare pie tin.

Richard - rage on! Proud to have contributed something useful.

Edited by VonL

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all,

Just a quick update to let you know what's going on. All material is on hand to use in the ebook. This includes four different types of inkjet decal paper. Also a selection of clear coats/fixatives...including one that virtually no one would ever think of. Have also pretty well figured out the layout. Now, here's what I need from y'all...especially since my intention is to produce an ebook that will be of use for virtually all types of models by anyone from beginner to expert. All you'll do is focus on the area of specific interest to you and ignore the rest. Yeah, I know it's ambitious, but when you consider how cheap an ebook can be sold for....

I've already gotten some excellent ideas. Now I'd like more details...specifics for your particular area of interest. Think outside the box, be imaginative. What kind of marking or image have you needed that caused you to give up because it wasn't available and you had no way to make it?

One more thing: What would you be willing to pay for this E-publication? It'll be available in at least the three most popular formats: mobi (Kindle), epub (Nook and most others) and pdf (desktop and laptop computers). $2.99? $3.99? $4.99? $5.99? Another price entirely?

The moment it is published, I will post its availability on this forum. You won't have to wait to find out that it's available.

Any and all comments beyond what has already been posted...the more detailed the comments are, the better... will be gratefully received and used to make the ebook even better than it is already going to be. Also, since I'm not the only expert when it comes to making my own decals...and maybe not even one...any techniques and/or tips you've developed on your own may well be incorporated into the ebook and appropriate credit given.

Richard

Guest PetrolGator

I'd be down to buy this.

Marking wise, I need flags and naval-style numbers like crazy. The biggest pain in the ass is with white decals. I built an HMS Tiger earlier in the year that took forever to get the right decals made for her turrets.

I think 4.99 to 5.99 is fair, personally. Offer a special for the first two weeks and then bring it up to that price.

Hi, Richard,

My decal stumbling block is for making gold pinstripes for a semi-truck tractor. I am using the 1/25 AMT GMC General kit with a gloss black finish. The pinstripes are dual strip as used for custom detailing. From the photos of the original 1:1 truck, the pinstripes look like they were applied with tape rolls, with the thicker stripe 0.50" and the parallel thin stripe 0.25". These details need to be on the fenders, hood, cab, sleeper, and headlight housing. Metallic gold just can't be done on an inkjet printer. I need help!

Ed

Ed, you're right. No matter what I put in my decal ebook, there will be no 'make your own' method for using inkjet printers. In fact, you've broached a rather interesting question: Do I continue to limit the ebook to making your own decals with an inkjet printer or expand it to other types of make your own techniques? While I'm waiting for some of y'all to chime in on that one, let me offer you a couple of ideas.

Obviously the old tried and true method of masking the individual stripes might solve the problem. Maybe. There's also automotive striping tape at the various parts houses...Autozone, etc. Problem here is that you might not be able to get tape flexible enough to follow the contours or produce stripes small enough. Then there are striping tapes...remember ChartPak?...that you can find at full service artist's supply stores and architectural supplies. Finally, I know there used to be decal companies that produced sheets of narrow striping for H-O and N-Gauge railroad cars and locomotives. You might try checking out model railroad shops. Don't forget to stripe in reverse. Spray the stripe area metallic gold, let it dry a few days, mask using the appropriate width tape...such as ChartPak...and follow with the truck's finish coat. Can't find tape the width you need? Excel makes a dandy little double blade knife. It has an adjusting screw to control the space between the two blades, allowing you to cut masking tape strips to some extremely narrow widths.

Hope some of this helps.

Richard

Guest PetrolGator

No problem. A lower initial price will get some people to purchase early and may help word of mouth get your product out. Let me know when/if the book comes out. I can advertise it with our local club and on the IPMS Facebook page. Don't hesitate to place ads in the "For Sale" forums either.

Chris, thanks for your offers. If I can find a list, I'm also planning on emailing a flyer to all of the affiliated clubs...or at least as many as I can find. The other possibility is...since decal creation is a universal need/interest...to at least send such a flyer to the main office of each country that has an IPMS operation. Still another angle would be to pay for a small ad on the home page of Tony Mateliano's Scale Model Page.

Richard

p.s. Unless something really dramatic and/or disastrous, the ebook will be out before the end of December and maybe before Christmas.

Hi, Richard,

My decal stumbling block is for making gold pinstripes for a semi-truck tractor. I am using the 1/25 AMT GMC General kit with a gloss black finish. The pinstripes are dual strip as used for custom detailing. From the photos of the original 1:1 truck, the pinstripes look like they were applied with tape rolls, with the thicker stripe 0.50" and the parallel thin stripe 0.25". These details need to be on the fenders, hood, cab, sleeper, and headlight housing. Metallic gold just can't be done on an inkjet printer. I need help!

Ed

Ed,

The ALPS printers did have gold ink cartridges if you can find someone who still has them.

Bare-metal foil does sell gold decal paper (http://www.bare-metal.com/Experts-Choice-Decal-Film.html), or maybe just spray gold paint onto decal paper. You might be able to cut thin strips with an Xacto (maybe try the trick of sandwiching a piece of sheet styrene between two blades to get parallel cuts), but those will be really thin stripes in 1/25, then you have to get them parallel on the model.

Another wild idea: start with the gold film, then print a black stripe on clear film and apply it over the gold, then cut the gold parallel to the black, leaving just enough gold on either side. Since the black stripe won't be touching the black paint hopefully you won't notice if the color doesn't match exactly.

There are some places doing custom decals for hobbyists - I've heard good things about http://www.tangopapadecals.com/ - they may be able to do metallics using professional printers or maybe even making a silkscreen stencil, but probably not cheap.

Let us know what works!

Don