WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SCI-FI FILM OF ALL TIME?

papasmurf

I'm surprised no one offered-up 'Tron'. :o

'Alien'

'Star Wars' (A New Hope)

'The Last Starfighter' (a bit of fun and of course, the Gunstar)

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised no one offered-up 'Tron'. :o

'Alien'

'Star Wars' (A New Hope)

'The Last Starfighter' (a bit of fun and of course, the Gunstar)

All good choices, and the Gunstar was cool! I watched Tron many times, good flick!

TRON-756179.jpg

Hello All,

Mine would have to be the director's cut of ALIENS. Of course, Silent Running would be number two.

Mark

Hello All,

Mine would have to be the director's cut of ALIENS. Of course, Silent Running would be number two.

Mark

Nice, "Silent Running" definitely struck a "cord" with a few members. I saw it at a Drive-In, many years ago, and it did make a strong impression on me. "Aliens" is a great film, in my "Top Ten"!

Aliens.jpg

Guest Chrgr440RT

I guess I am just wierd, although I do agree with the whole Ellen Ripley/Judge Hershey fantasy.

-Army of Darkness

-"THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK"

-Empire Strikes Back

-Raiders of the Last Ark

-Guilty Pleasure

-Anything Mystery Science Theater 3000

-Starship Troopers

I guess I am just wierd, although I do agree with the whole Ellen Ripley/Judge Hershey fantasy.

-Army of Darkness

-"THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK"

-Empire Strikes Back

-Raiders of the Last Ark

-Guilty Pleasure

-Starship Troopers

Good ones! I have to admit that I rank "Army of Darkness" as a "GP", but it was very entertaining!

bruce-army-of-darkness.jpg

"This is my "Boom Stick!"

ALIENS is one of the few movies ever where the sequel was as good as or better than the original.

I completely agree! The first and second should be "bonded" together, as the first is a "Prequel" in my mind, to the more action packed "Aliens", which is the best of the lot, after that, it's a downhill slide in quality for this franchise. The character "Hudson" is a blast in that one, most fun character in the film! The last few chapters, Alien III and so on, however somewhat entertaining, were not up to "spec" with those first 2 releases.

I am honestly suprprised, that no one has mentioned one of my "Top Ten" list inductees, the 1953 release of the classic "War of the Worlds". A film I have watched at least 50 times, Mmmm....very interesting.

WarOfTheWorlds_Still_11-462x315-313x224.jpg

WOTW is a great movie in its 1953 version. The Tom Cruise version blew chunks! :smiley11:

Gosh, you are being kind! :smiley17:

El' Stinko Deluxe it was!!

-Army of Darkness

-"THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK"

-Empire Strikes Back

-Raiders of the Last Ark

-Guilty Pleasure

-Starship Troopers

Oh, and BTW, although not SF, "Clerks" was pretty darn funny! :smiley17:

The three I'll watch anytime they are on are:

1. Forbidden Planet

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. War of the Worlds (1953)

I have all on DVD an pop them in occasionally if they are not on the tube (sorry, flatscreen).

Nobody has mentioned Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

The three I'll watch anytime they are on are:

1. Forbidden Planet

2. 2001: A Space Odyssey

3. War of the Worlds (1953)

I have all on DVD an pop them in occasionally if they are not on the tube (sorry, flatscreen).

Nobody has mentioned Dr. Strangelove, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.

Good choices, all classics! :smiley20:

On Dr. Strangelove, that's not technically an SF film, it's a political satire/comedy, that Kubrick did very well! One of my favorite movies however!

DrStrangelove3.jpg

Another recent one that I enjoyed was "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen". I guess it can be classified as Sci-fi.

Highly underated, and didn't do well at the box office, but I also liked it. It's an SF/Fantasy mix film. One of those "Hybrid" films, but quite enjoyable! :smiley17:

lxgmovie.jpg

My three favs are, in no particular order:

Star Trek 4, The Voyage Home

Invaders from Mars, this one scared the tar out of me as a kid,

and

The day the earth stood still.

Honorable mentions go to

Mothra,

Journey to the center of the earth, the original one,

and

The Abyss

My three favs are, in no particular order:

Star Trek 4, The Voyage Home

Invaders from Mars, this one scared the tar out of me as a kid,

and

The day the earth stood still.

Honorable mentions go to

Mothra,

Journey to the center of the earth, the original one,

and

The Abyss

Hey! Those are excellent choices, James Mason was great in "Journey", I remember that well! The Abyss was really spectacular for special effects, Godzilla films, which includes Mothra, were my favorites as a kid. Watching all those great scenics and buildings getting shredded, was a primary influence on my desire to become a modeler! And "Invader from Mars" is a spooky film, I totally agree, eek! :smiley22:

invaders2.gif

The funny thing about all those old Japanese monster movies was the way thebuildings and infrastructure were protrayed. When I was stationed on Okinawa in 74, everything looked just like the movies!! I was always waiting to see Godzilla come over the hill, and start stomping everything in sight!! Especially after a long night in town!! :lol:

The funny thing about all those old Japanese monster movies was the way thebuildings and infrastructure were protrayed. When I was stationed on Okinawa in 74, everything looked just like the movies!! I was always waiting to see Godzilla come over the hill, and start stomping everything in sight!! Especially after a long night in town!! :lol:

Geez, yes, I see that, imagine waking up to this guy, waiting on your morning Train, with a hangover? YIKES! :smiley22:....owww my head.....

godzilla_bw.jpg

One of the things I loved the most about the Japanese rubber monster movies were the models.

I use to "drool" over the RC Tanks, and other motorized prop models, not to mention the great Buildings! Use to build huge Lego versions, and destroy them with Godzilla Roars! Jeez, good times!

It's a shame to grow up in some ways, in others, the "Kid" lives on inside you, somewhere.... :smiley20:

Whoa...I just read Dave M.'s post....How could I forget:

Pitch Black

OR

Chronicles Of Riddick

???????????????????????

riddick.jpg

Lots of action and effects, plus Vin Diesil looks almost as good as Me!

I've enjoyed both these flicks, Vin tends to mumble his lines, in many of his other films, but these 2 were quite good. Chronicle was panned by the critics badly, however it's become sort of a "Cult" status film, among the "Hard-Core" SF types, as well as "Pitch Black", which was quite scary! :unsure:

Interesting choices! :smiley16:

Alien

Aliens

Star Wars "A New Hope"

Matter of fact I have Alien Directors Cut on while I am typing this!

Max Bryant

All good solid choices Max! "Alien" and "Aliens", have come up a lot lately!

aliens-hudson.jpg