WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE SCI-FI FILM OF ALL TIME?

papasmurf

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if we are going to start with TV shows, the new Doctor Who is right up there.

Eric

Agreed, but lets get back to the thread topic, your right to point out this minor deviation Eric, back to top 3 films, and a few "guilty pleasures". Please, thread's going well as is, we can do a TV show one later. :smiley14:

Back on track guys!

Thanks Eric! :smiley4:

Just a quick note, but when I put "Thunderbirds" up, I meant the movie(live action Frakkes directing).

Thought the TV show was indeed awesome, I think the ships from the movie weren't too bad.

Kevin

Understood, it was based on that old show we all watched as kids, but with real actors that time around. Some Brit friends told me they had some big Ship displayed in London, promototing it's release.

Saw it, wasn't terrible, but I still dig the kid's show, for the intense modeling work that went into it.

I will do a "Favorite SF TV Show" thread eventually, but we still have a lot of films that have not yet been mentioned!! :huh:

thunderbirds2.jpg

Remember Clutch Cargo?

You have me stumped there Garth? :smiley23:Don't remember that one...... :smiley5:

It really was, especially if you were a young modeler. The huge diorama's, and all the mechanized effects, just a modeler's paradise. Felt the same way about Godzilla movies!

Thunderbird-4.jpg

• 4 months later...

Wow - just noticed this thread...

1. Aliens

2. The Matrix

3. Road Warrior

Close contenders: Terminator, The Abyss, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Forever Young, Ghost Busters

Now that lots of these show up on cable and DVD I've found very few are as good as my rose-colored memories and even fewer hold up to frequent viewing; I was really surprised to find myself dozing off during the Star Wars movies.

Guilty pleasures: Critters, Men In Black, Moon Zero Two

Don

Clutch Cargo. Sheesh. That show set animation back 30 years. It was more like bad stop motion drawings than animation. And the lips were real peoples' lips superimposed on the faces so they didn't have to animate the face moving. With all the differences in perspective and angles, the lips never changed and looked ridiculous! I seem to remember he had the usual whiny kid sidekick and a dog named, why I remember this I have no idea, Paddlefoot.

Very cool thread...

Golden Age:

1) The Day the Earth Stood Still

2) Forbidden Planet

3) The Thing from Another World (The Thing)

Silver Age:

1) Aliens

2) Blade Runner

3) The Black Hole

4) 2001

Current:

1) I Robot

2) Serenity

3) Chronicles of Riddick

Animated:

1) Akira

2) Ghost in the Shell

3) Rahxephon

4) Wall-E

5) Appleseed: Ex Machina

Upcoming:

1) Watchmen

2) Star Trek

Most of these have been mentioned. I will always include Japanese Animation in my list due to the overwhelming beauty and depth of the medium...

Overall number one favorite of all time... V for Vendetta... Alan Moore, what a genius...

Very cool thread...

Silver Age:

4) 2001

Not looking to start a fight or take this thread too far adrift, but of everyone that voted for Kubrick's SF master-werk - how many of you have actually watched it lately?

I got the DVD a year ago and was really disappointed on re-watching it for the first time in probably 20 years. The effects are still stunning, but Kubrick's minimalist style and artsy symbolism made it painfully dull and impossible to follow the storyline. I've read and re-read Clarke's book many times since 1969, and while its a little uneven in spots there are parts I really like and I still find it entertaining. The movie on the other hand I doubt I'll want to watch again for another 20 years...

Don

Don,

No disagreement on your take but many well written books don't make it through the Hollywood process.

Soylent Green or as the book was titled, Make Room! Make Room!, was much darker than the movie.

Who knows if the audiences of the times could have handled it? If it was remade today, should it follow the movie or the book?

I find 2001 a little difficult to take but I also take it for what it is in the time in which it was made.

The movie was run recently on TCM and I watched it and 2010.

I'm not rushing to the Blu-ray player to take Wall-E out though...

Don,

No disagreement on your take but many well written books don't make it through the Hollywood process.

I find 2001 a little difficult to take but I also take it for what it is in the time in which it was made.

The interesting thing about 2001 is that Clarke wrote the book and the screenplay at (roughly) the same time. The book had to go to the publisher before the movie finished shooting so they diverged - mostly where Kubrick decided the changes made the movie better. The big one I remember is that Kubrick added the scene where HAL traps Bowman outside in the pod with no space suit - the one place I thought the movie was actually better. Tying this back to modeling - in the book the Discovery goes to Saturn; in the move its Jupiter - because they couldn't get the rings of the Saturn model to look right on film...

What bothered me the most about the movie is that it failed to convey any of the main themes of the book: what the monoliths were, the whole "sufficient technology is equivalent to being God" and your standard anti-war, anti-nuke messages (it was the 60s). It wasn't that Kubrick left them out - bits and pieces are scattered through the movie - but there is no attempt to explain any of it - its just lost amongst all the cool imagery. I thought "Marooned" - made at the same time with a much smaller budget and a straightforward storyline actually worked much better as entertainment.

Don

Good point Don. I always did wonder what the monoliths were, and I never really grasped the "sufficient technology is equivalent to being God" concept because when I saw the movie it was far too vague. Then again I was a youngster and I never read the book either. Still haven't.

I do love following this discussion though.

Then again I was a youngster and I never read the book either. Still haven't.

Duke, I could give you a book report but I don't want to write pages of opinion and trivia no one really cares about. If you can find the book (check used bookstores) I recommend it - its fairly short and if you like Clarke it is (IMO) some of his best writing.

In any case, I've probably dragged this thread far enough off topic - if anyone wants to discuss 2001 - the book or movie - start another thread and I'll happily chime in.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

:smiley22: In my opinion, the best Sci-Fi films have got to be the Star Trek series, including the new one coming out in May, I believe. Rest in peace DeForest, Mark, The Great Bird of the Galaxy, and any others whom I didn't know passed. I think they all have excellent special effects for there times. I also like the digitally enhanced original series.

Dave Wahl

IPMS #46035

Kitbashers Model Car Club

Wellsville, N.Y.

• 3 weeks later...
Surprised no one thought of the hot redhead from 5th Element.

also in my list:

MadMax

Aliens

PitchBlack

Abyss

HeavyMetal

The 5th Element is one of the most underated SF films ever, did poorly at the box office. It's a great film, and has a HUGE cult following. Superb special effects, and I purchased the soundtrack, great stuff on that! Music to model SF by, and an awesome track by Peter Gabriel! :excl:

And yes, she's incredibly hot in that! :smiley27:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll play.

I like the older Sci Fics like Forbidden Plant, with Robbie the Robot!!

A real close runner up is The War of the Worlds made in the 1950's.

And, oh, the Blob!!

Bo Roberts

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm new to the forum so here's my few (that I can remember at age 33)

Them - the old 50's black & white about the giant ants.

War of the Worlds (50's version)

Aliens

Pitch Black/Chronicles of Riddick

Ghosts of Mars

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 the movie "Normal view.. normal view... normal view..." :smiley4:

• 2 months later...

Two that haven't been mentioned yet.

Soldier and Dark Star.

My number three would have to be one of the early B&W Dr Who and the Daleks movies.

Two that haven't been mentioned yet.

Soldier and Dark Star.

My number three would have to be one of the early B&W Dr Who and the Daleks movies.

Loved "Soldier", and "Dark Star", John Carpenters first feature film, is a cult classic!

And, I have many fond memories of those BW "Dr. Who" episodes, excellent choices! And welcome to IPMS hotel26! :smiley20: