410 Dirt Sprintcar....FINISHED!..... 02-17-15

Here's progress update...Putty is on the body panels that needed it. It looks like a lot of putty...but is really not. It sands off real easy. Also...All the body attachment points on the chassis have been completed and it will be ready for primer. A soon as this putty is dry...it will be prepped and it also will be primed...Hopefully...today. Here's a pic to show some progress....

bodyputty002-vi.jpg[/b]

Thanks Jim.......

Here's an update...Every thing has been primed and the chassis has been shot the blue That Todd used. The Kirkey racing seat has been shot with Alclad and the pads added. The racing harness will be added when the seat is mounted permanently. here are a few pics....thanks for looking in folks....

The Seat...

seatfinished001-vi.jpg

seatfinished003-vi.jpg

The Chassis..

chassispainted002-vi.jpg

Seat mocked up....

chassispainted003-vi.jpg

chassispainted005-vi.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Here's some NEW update pics on the chassis. The Firewall is almost complete. I have to mount the small oil reservoir for the KSE steering unit. The paint was curing and I wanted to get an update posted before T-Day...LOL All gauges and toggle switch and the brake master cylinder are complete. The Q.C. is painted and ready to go. The REAR nerf bars are also in mock up to get touch up paint done....thanks for looking in folks....

ChassisII011-vi.jpg

ChassisII013-vi.jpg

ChassisII006-vi.jpg

ChassisII004-vi.jpg

ChassisII017-vi.jpg

ChassisII015-vi.jpg

Here's an update....the Engine has been shot in 3or4 shades of Alclad. I was talking with Todd and found out that they didn't have the breathers on the Left Valve cover. Instead..they ran the tube setup that ran from the front of each valve cover with only one breather in the center. Of course....I had the first set of valve covers finished and ready to apply....LOL..no biggie...didn't have them on yet. I also got ALL the body panels and wing end plates painted the Metallic silver that they ran. Here's a few pics....The valve covers are in mockup along with the Tank.....

ChassisTank002-vi.jpg

EngineI003-vi.jpg

EngineI001-vi.jpg

The paint is finished on the body panels. The engine is just about finished...a few more small things to do with it and it will go in. Here are a few mocked up body shots to show the progress...Thanks for looking in and commenting folks...it's appreciated...

Bodypaintmockup007-vi.jpg

Bodypaintmockup003-vi.jpg

Bodypaintmockup002-vi.jpg

I managed to get more done on the engine... I see I need to do a little touch up here and there...It is really starting to get there....Thanks for looking in folks.....

engineshots001-vi.jpg

engineshots004-vi.jpg

engineshots002-vi.jpg

That's KOOL Jim....just saying what you said is ah-plenty.... Hope to have a few more things finished this week. Trying to finish this build before Christmas. We'll see....

• 5 weeks later...
Well...the Holidays are over and work on the Sprintcar has started again(finally...lol). The plumbing for the engine is finished with the exception of the upper and lower water hoses. Those will be installed after the engine is in the chassis. Here are a few pics to show progress...thanks for looking in folks...

engineplumbed002-vi.jpg

engineplumbed006-vi.jpg

engineplumbed003-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for the kind words Bob.

Here's an update to show that I have been working on this thing...LOL The seat is in. The Wheels and tires are finished along with ALL the wiring for the engine. The engine is mounted to the firewall and will go into the chassis today. Hope to get the Racing Harness completed and in today also....(well...tomorrow maybe...). The top wing end plate braces need to be fabbed and installed...hopefully that will be in a few days. This build is really headed down the home stretch now.

Enginewiredandin001-vi.jpg

Panelsandwheelsfinished004-vi.jpg

Panelsandwheelsfinished003-vi.jpg

just a spectacular build..... i am awestruck at the scratch building you do..just outstanding

Thank you for the compliment Bubba! I've got more finished on this bad boy...but I'll post pics when the chassis is on all 4's..permanently.I just finished the top wing Braces tonight and will get the racing Harness in the next few days. Then....it's go together time...

Edited by GaryDavis

Well folks....Here's an update on the chassis. The Racing harness was fabbed along with the two head nets(window nets) and added. Getting that accomplished was the key to finishing the chassis. Now...the firewall/engine can be mounted and the rest of the body panels will go on. Hope fully that will be done this week...Thanks for looking in folks....

roller002-vi.jpg

roller009-vi.jpg

roller003-vi.jpg

roller004-vi.jpg

The engine is in( still need to finish the top end of it. that will be done today) and ALL the running gear is finished. The other body panels will go on today. All the decals should go on in the next few days...Thanks for looking in folks...

roller2002-vi.jpg

roller2005-vi.jpg

roller2007-vi.jpg

Well..get the PUSH Truck...This car is finished. I will post a few finished engine pics with the wing and then without. The pics without the wing really bring back some great memories and also makes me want to build a 70's wingless car. Kinda along the GRANT KING style of car. Thanks for looking in on this build folks.

The finished engine...

finished1008-vi.jpg

finished1003-vi.jpg

finished1010-vi.jpg

With the WING...

finished3034-vi.jpg

finished3036-vi.jpg

finished3026-vi.jpg

finished3027-vi.jpg

Edited by GaryDavis

This is a beautiful example about why some models are worthy of Best-of-Show honors and others are not.

I may have no experience with this type of vehicle, but I can recognize outstanding model craftsmanship. Superb job!

Ed

• Like 1

Thanks for all the compliments folks....That's what makes taking the effort and time to do a wip.

Gary- This is truly a Fantastic build! My wife and I will be in Salt Lake this year for the GSLIMCC, so we hope to see this work of art at the show? Dan King

​Hey Dan....My wife and I were thinking about GSL this yr. But....we have other commitments that will have to be done in it'

s place. Maybe in 2017? Good luck with any and ALL of your builds if you go...

Edited by GaryDavis

• 2 months later...

I wasn't much into the Sprint cars, but what I am into is the level of modeling you brought to the table that got me into this Sprint car!! Mister you've got the touch for sure!! Way to go Gary!!!!!! What a build!

Thank you for the compliment Joe.If you ever get a chance to get to the track and watch these cars run....I think you'ld really be amazed at the speeds that they carry into the turns. One thinks that they are not going to make the turn....but they do...LOL

I've been to a race or two in my time at the dirt track. Had a lot of fun and just looooove those alcohol fumes from the cars. lol

OH yea...the dirt and fuel mixed....what a great smell....isn't it!! It smells really cool on asphalt to...just no dirt smell...LOL