"How to" books for a newbie aircraft builder

Dick Montgomery

Not videos please.....publications only:

Let's start with an airplane (Yep. An airplane.) and if you could recommend only 3 publications to that newbie as an excellent resource to get started with basic modeling, what three publications would you suggest?

Dick: A newbie has some choices. One set of books by Fine Scale Modeler may still be in print, Classic Combat Aircraft Vol. 1 -3 Modeling WWII Aircraft. A really good basic book is out of print: How To Build Plastic Model Aircraft by Roscoe Creed. It was first published in 1985 or '86 and was a great book. Amazon.com or eBay may have copies available. That gives you up to four possible books. I'm sure there are others I don't know about. Good luck!

Mark

I have Osprey's Compendum Modelling Manuals #1 Basic Aviation Modelling by Jerry Scutts. I know there are intermediate and advanced versions of this series for military models, and there should be some for aircraft.

Mark and Robin,

Thanks for the info! I've actually got some of these publications in my collection. I knew Ros Creed. In fact, when he was writing his book, a copy of which I have and he autographed, he asked if I knew of anyone who might serve as a "model" (no pun intended) for some of the pics in the book. Being a teacher at a local high school I knew many kids that would fit the bill. After getting the parents on board Ros chose his "model" and away they went. At that time Ros was a professional writer, doing articles for motorcycle mags and travel mags. He moved away and I lost touch but I can tell you that he was an outstanding modeler and his models were those featured in his book.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated.